D2L - eGrade Submission - Create a Grade Scheme (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
D2L eGrade Submission process: Create a Grade Scheme
D2L eGrading: Create a Grade SchemeFor grade submission to work properly, the gradebook must first be properly configured in D2L. This includes creating and applying a grade scheme, which will apply a letter grade to the final grade. This step is critical because My UW-Madison accepts letter grades only.
To create a new grade scheme:
- From the Gradebook, click on Schemes.
- Click on New Scheme to begin creating your scheme.
- For your reference, give your scheme a Name.
- By default, there are three ranges for the new scheme. Add or remove ranges as follows:
- For graded courses, click Add Ranges four (4) times to add blanks for all of the required grades, resulting in a total of 7 range fields.
- For courses that are exclusively Credit/No Credit, click Remove once, resulting in a total of 2 range fields.
- Explanation of fields:
- Symbol: The symbol is the letter grade. UW-Madison official grades are A, AB, B, BC, C, D, and F. For Credit/No Credit courses, enter CR and N for the symbols.
- Start %: The start % is the lowest possible percent earned for this grade. For example, to give an "A" to students who
score 90 - 100% in the course:
- Grade Color is optional but can help you easily visually confirm the grades in the gradebook.
- Ignore the Assigned Value (%) column.
- Since each percent is the lowest possible for each grade, at no time will you type "100" as a Start %.
- Start % must be a percent, not a point value.
- Range symbols with two grades, such as AB and BC, must be entered without any slashes or dashes.
The following brief video steps through this process (includes steps 3 & 4).