D2L - Creating Calendar Events (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
The calendar feature allows users to add scheduled events and content to any course.
Create a general (content) event
- From the course homepage, click the drop-down arrow next to Calendar and click "Go to Calendar".
- Click Create Event in the calendar content area.
- Click Add Content on the Create Event page to associate course content with the event.
- Enter Title, Description, and specify a date and time.
- Click Create.
You can also create events directly in the day, week, and month Calendar views by clicking a time or date.
- Select a specific group or section under Attendees. (NOTE: This option only appears if there are already groups created in the course)
- Enter information about recurrences and restrictions.
- Enter any useful URLs in the description or custom location field. They will appear as clickable links in the event details view.
- Enter a Location. You can also launch a seating chart session from this screen.
- Add Presenters.
NOTE: To add and remove content to an event after you have already created it, click the context menu for the event name in agenda view; or, click the event name in the calendar content area and click Edit, Add, or Delete.
- In the calendar menu, click on a course to set it as the current calendar.
- Click a time interval on a specific day to create an event within that course.
- Enter a Title and select Attendees if applicable.
If you have more than one group participating in the same course event during different time intervals, you can create multiple instances of the same event, tailored to each group’s needs. The group events share the name and description fields, but once you finish creating the group events in bulk, they display as individual events.
Add groups and/or sections to an event
- In the Attendees section, select the group you’d like to customize an instance of the event for.
- Select Add Groups/Sections.
- On the Add Groups page, select a group.
- Fill in the details for the event.
NOTE: This option will only be available if you have already created a group for your course, or if your course has sections.
You can add new events and update existing events by importing them from an external iCal file into your Calendar by doing a one time import.
- Select the course you want your events to be grouped under by clicking on it from the calendar menu.
- Select Import Events.
- Click Browse on the Import Events page to search for the iCal file containing your events. If you want to import the events into a specific group or section, select it in the Attendees drop-down list.
- Click Open, then click Import.
Source: Desire2Learn Documentation