D2L - Create a New Quiz (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
Creating a quiz involves a series of steps. After naming a quiz, you can access its tab menus to define general properties, restrictions, attempts, learning objectives, submission views, reports, and layout/questions.
1. Click on Assignments in the Navbar and then choose Quizzes.
2. Click New Quiz.
3. In the Properties tab, enter a Name.
4. If you will be creating a large number of quizzes and would like to organize them, select a Category from the drop-down list. If you haven't set up categories for your quiz, click add category to create and name a new category.
5. Click Save.
6. Move from tab to tab, editing your quiz as desired.
Properties: To create a new question, click . Then click New and chose the type of question you would like to create.
You can enter in a title for the question, though this is optional. Enter the question text, choose how much the question as a whole is worth. After entering the possible answers, check the correct one, or assign the percentage value that each answer is worth (often 0% or 100%).
Click Save when you are finished, or Save and New if you wish to continue using the same type of question.
Restrictions: Important! Make sure to set the quiz status to Active, and to set a Start/End date if desired. A time limit can also be set up in this section.
If you wish to utilize the Restrictions tab further by creating a quiz with multiple parts, see D2L - Multi-Part Quizzes (UW-Madison).
NOTE: You can disable students' access to the IM (chat) tool while they're taking a quiz, but doing so also prevents the student from receiving D2L "minibar" alerts from ALL their courses about things such as new news postings. For details, see D2L - Student Cannot Access Minibar Alerts While Quiz is in Progress (UW-Madison).
Assessment: You can set and control all assessment related activities such as associating the quiz with a gradebook item, attaching a rubric, setting the number of allowed attempts etc. from this tab.
Objectives: You can associate a learning objective with the quiz.
Submission Views: Edit the way the quiz submission view will look after a student has submitted their quiz. Multiple views can be created, for example, to show students the quiz answers after the quiz is complete.
You can also create your own view by clicking . Give the view a name and enter the message you'd like students to see. Set the View Restrictions and add any View Details, then click Save.
See also Learn@UW - Options for Displaying Submitted Quiz Attempt Questions to Students .
Reports Setup: Reports are used to gather information on student performance.
To create a report, first click , then enter a Report Name.
Next select a Report Type:
- Question Statistics: Displays class average, score distribution, includes bonus questions, and the "Out Of" value for each question.
- Question Details: Displays question difficulty levels, text responses, includes bonus questions, and shows all private comments.
- User Statistics: Displays class average, score distribution, and class name.
- Attempt Details: Displays class name and duration of quiz attempt.
- User Attempts: Displays class name.
7. Once you're done moving through the tabs, click Save and Close. Your quiz will now be available to students when active and within the release dates.
8. If you wish to edit any of these questions, simply click on the question. If you are no longer in the Edit Quiz view, you can find your quiz in the Navbar by clicking on Assignments and then Quizzes. You should then be able to click on your quiz to edit it.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click the drop-down arrow for the quiz you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
- Click Delete in the confirmation window.
Option 2 (this can be done with multiple quizzes as well)
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click the checkbox(es) next to the quiz(zes) you want to delete.
- Click More Actions, and click Delete.
- Click Delete in the confirmation window.