D2L - Creating Surveys (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
Surveys are created by populating questions that reside in the Question Library. Note that the survey tool has a Question Library separate from the Quiz Question Library. Questions cannot be shared between libraries at this time.
Surveys can consist of the following types of questions:
- Multiple Choice
- Long Answer
- Short Answer
- Likert Scale
- Fill in the Blank
- Enter the Survey tool on the navigation bar, or access it by going to Edit Course > Surveys. If the tool is not visible on the navigation bar, you can enable it under Edit Course > NavBars (covered in D2L - Adding Tools to Course Navigation Bar (UW-Madison) ).
- Click the Question Library tab.
- To better organize survey questions, it is wise to create a question folder.
To do this choose New > Section.
- Enter a Section Name and click .
- To add questions to the question folder, click on the folder in the side
- Choose the type of question from the New menu (see above).
- Create your questions. You may click Save, or Save and New if you wish to create more than one question.
- When finished, click Done Editing Questions.
- Enter the Survey tool on the navigation bar.
- From the Manage Surveys tab, click New Survey.
- Enter a name for the survey in the Name box.
- If you want students to see feedback to question, check give instant feedback box. Note that this feature is currently only providing question-level feedback, not answer-specific feedback.
- There are also areas to provide messages at the beginning and end of the survey (Description/Submission messages), as well as a page footer.