D2L - Chat Tool (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
This document addresses the functionality of the chat tool in D2L.
Creating a chat room
- After adding the chat tool to your navigation bar (see D2L - Adding Tools to Course Navigation Bar (UW-Madison)), click on the Chat tool.
- Click the New Chat button.
- Enter a Title for the chat.
- Click the General Chat radio button.
- Enter a Description of the chat. (Tip It is a good idea to enter a description to help other users identify the chat, since they might have access to other chats with similar names.)
- Click Create.
Participating in a chat room
- To enter a chat, click its name on the Chat List page.
- To enter a message, type in the text entry field at the bottom and press the Enter key, or click the Send button.
- To change the display of your name, or to enable sound, use the Settings button in the upper right corner.