D2L - Creating Random Question Sets (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
D2L allows you to create quizzes containing random questions taken from the bank of items in your Question Library.
1. Create questions (if you already have questions in your question library, skip to number 2)
- Start by clicking on the Assignments drop-down menu in the navigation bar, and then Quizzes.
- Click on the Question Library tab.
- Click to create your questions within the Question Library.
2. Prepare a quiz
- Under Manage Quizzes, click .
- Name your new quiz, and then click on the Properties tab.
- Click . This will allow you to access your question library.
- Click on the button to open the drop-down menu, then select Random Section.
- Enter a Section Name for the random portion of the quiz.
- Click .
3. Import your questions
- Open the Random Section folder which you just created by clicking its icon in the sidebar.
- Click .
- Under the Source Section drop-down menu, select the desired question set (or to select all questions, select Question Root) and then check the questions you wish to include.
- Click to return to the Random Section folder.
4. Create your quiz
- Inside the Random Section folder, enter the number of questions you want to be used in the quiz, and enter the number of points each question will be worth.
- Click .
- Click on the original quiz name to return to the main quiz.
- Add non-randomized questions, if desired.
- Click to return to Edit Quiz. In Edit Quiz, configure any additional quiz settings.
- To finish, click .