How to remove an overdraft from an award or grant (fund 144/133)

This document contains an explanation of how to reduce an overdraft on an award or grant (fund 144/133) and who to contact for help.

If the award/grant has ended, there are no errors, and the overdraft is less than $100 please contact the RSP Accountant for the award to close it out. 

If excess charges have gone to the grant or something has been charged that does not belong on the grant, please transfer charges to another account with a non-salary cost transfer and/or a salary cost transfer.   For the most part, the only appropriate place to move such charges is a non-sponsored fund, such as a fund 233 or fund 150 account. There are occasions where charges can be moved to another sponsored fund, for example, moving charges from an old grant to a successor grant, or when the charges were put on the incorrect grant in the first place.

If you are moving excess charges off the grant, it is best to move newer charges first, and to avoid salary transfers from closed effort periods because of the effort implications.

If the error involves an HRS problem please contact your departmnental contact in the L & S HR office to resolve the problem

If other errors have occurred, please contact the appropriate person if known, or, if you have questions on how to resolve the error please contact Ben Ball or Mary Machaj for assistance.

Other useful links:  Cost Transfer Policy

Created 9/20/12, reviewed 10/1/17

Keywords:overdraft, overdrafts, grant, award, post-award   Doc ID:26517
Owner:Mary M.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2012-09-20 13:09 CDTUpdated:2017-10-02 11:14 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  1   0