Office 365 (Outlook 2011) - Configure Outlook 2011
This document explains how to connect to the Office 365 service.
Warning: Before proceeding, make sure you have updated Outlook to the latest version (patch) currently available. If you do not update Outlook before proceeding, the potential exists that you will be unable to configure your account to Office 365 (you will receive an error during the configuration process).
Configure Outlook 2011 for Office 365
- Launch Outlook 2011.
- Open the Outlook menu and select Preferences.
- Click the Accounts icon from the Outlook Preferences window.
- Click the Exchange Account option.
- On the Auto Account Setup window, enter the following for each field:
- Email Address: -
- NetID Account: Enter the primary address of your NetID account which will take one of the following forms: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Service Account: Enter the primary address of your Service account which will take one of the following forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Method: User Name and Password
- Password: Enter the password of the account you are configuring.
Note: If you are configuring a service account, a password is required. If you do not know the password of the service account you are configuring, contact your domain administrator.
- Ensure Configure Automatically is checked.
Important: The 'User name' field may be pre-populated with your email address you entered the previous step. You must make sure this address is changed to the format required in this step.Note: for further server/account details, see - Office 365 - Server and Account Configuration Settings.
- Email Address: -
- Click Add Account.
Please note: If you receive an error message that your account is unable to be auto-configured, please make sure that your Outlook client is fully updated to the newest version (patch) currently available.
- If you receive a warning similar to the following, place a check mark within "Always use my response for this server" box and click Allow to continue.
- A summary will be displayed upon successfully account configuration.
- Modify the account description field to something more descriptive; such as your name.
- Close the Accounts window to start using Outlook.
Note: If your original WiscMail/WiscMail Plus account was configured on this device, use the following instructions to remove the account: Office 365 (Outlook 2016 | Outlook 2011 for Mac) - Removing an account
Important: Depending on the size and amount of emails you have in your account, Outlook may require some time to completely download all of your mail (and other data) the first time you load Outlook after configuring your account.
Remember: the Global Address List (GAL) will only contain Office 365 accounts. Therefore, you may still need access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages) to find the person you are searching for.
Use these instructions to configure the Campus Directory (Whitepages) within this client.