D2L - Creating and Enrolling non-NetID Users (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
If you are an Affiliate Administrator and would like to create non-NetID accounts and enroll these users into a D2L course, please refer to this document for instructions.
D2L Madison Affiliate Administrators have the ability to create new user accounts one at a time in D2L and enroll these people into a course Classlist. This can be done one at a time. For information about adding pre-existing users, please refer to D2L - Adding Participants to a Course (UW-Madison).
To add multiple non-NetID users at once, Get Help from DoIT and let them know you have a bulk request to add non-enrolled users without NetIDs. You'll later be asked to provide more information directly to the administrative team in a list form.
Create and Enroll a Single User
IMPORTANT: Please use this process only if the user being created and enrolled is outside of UW-Madison and is not eligible to receive a NetID.
- Access the D2L course.
- Go to Edit Course (in the default navbar, you'll find this option under the Course Admin drop-down menu).
- Click the Classlist link.
- Click the blue Add Participants button, then select the Create and Enroll a New User option. You'll see the Create and Enroll a New User screen.
- Complete the following fields and options:
- First Name: (Required) User's first name
- Last Name: (Required) User's last name
- Username: (Required) This is the login ID the user will enter when logging on to D2L. Recommended format is firstname.lastname (first name and last name, separated by a period).
- Org Defined ID: (Required) Enter the same value you entered for Username.
- Password: (Not required) Enter a password only if you plan to communicate that password to the user. If you do not enter a password here, the user will simply set up their own password when they first access the system.
- Role: (Required) Users's role in the course.
- Email: (Not Required) User's email address. It's recommended you provide an email address for all new users so that they will receive email correspondence sent from the instructor.
- Force password change on login: Select this option only if you have manually set a password for the user and want the user to change it the first time they log in.
- Send Enrollment email: Select this option if you would like an email to be sent to the user telling them they have been enrolled in the course.
- Click the button to save your changes and create and enroll the user.