D2L - Creating and Enrolling non-NetID Users (UW-Madison)
If you are an Affiliate Administrator and would like to create non-NetID accounts and enroll these users into a D2L course, please refer to this document for instructions.
D2L Madison Affiliate Administrators have the ability to create new user accounts one at a time in D2L and enroll these people into a course Classlist. This can be done one at a time. For information about adding pre-existing users, please refer to D2L - Adding Participants to a Course (UW-Madison).
To add multiple non-NetID users at once, Get Help from DoIT and let them know you have a bulk request to add non-enrolled users without NetIDs. You'll later be asked to provide more information directly to the administrative team in a list form.
Create and Enroll a Single User
IMPORTANT: Please use this process only if the user being created and enrolled is outside of UW-Madison and is not eligible to receive a NetID.
- Access the D2L course.
- Go to Edit Course (in the default navbar, you'll find this option under the Course Admin drop-down menu).
- Click the Classlist link.
- Click the blue Add Participants button, then select the Create and Enroll a New User option. You'll see the Create and Enroll a New User screen.
- Complete the following fields and options:
- First Name: (Required) User's first name
- Last Name: (Required) User's last name
- Username: (Required) This is the login ID the user will enter when logging on to D2L. Recommended format is firstname.lastname (first name and last name, separated by a period).
- Org Defined ID: (Required) Enter the same value you entered for Username.
- Password: (Not required) Enter a password only if you plan to communicate that password to the user. If you do not enter a password here, the user will simply set up their own password when they first access the system.
- Role: (Required) Users's role in the course.
- Email: (Not Required) User's email address. It's recommended you provide an email address for all new users so that they will receive email correspondence sent from the instructor.
- Force password change on login: Select this option only if you have manually set a password for the user and want the user to change it the first time they log in.
- Send Enrollment email: Select this option if you would like an email to be sent to the user telling them they have been enrolled in the course.
- Click the button to save your changes and create and enroll the user.