WISC - Office 365 University Information
Office 365 University is not available from the DoIT Tech Store or WISC as of 6/30/2016.
Microsoft introduced Office 365 University in early 2013. The following is basic information about it, with links to more info.
Office 365 University is a four-year subscription for full- and part-time enrolled university and college students, faculty, and staff. There is one product that covers both Mac and Win. It is completely separate from the Office 365 that may be provided by your campus — if Office 365 is available from your campus, that should be your first choice for getting Office on your computer.
Office 365 Includes:
- a 4-year subscription
- If school takes more than 4 years, you can renew once for a total of 8 years of Office 365 University. Academic eligibility will need to be confirmed again at beginning of second 4-year period.
- At the end of the subscription period, you will have to repurchase a subscription to keep using.
- Price of $79 (which comes out to $1.65/month)
- Office Web Apps (best suited for quick viewing and editing)
- Office On Demand, which can quickly stream the full-featured Office applications to any Internet-connected PC running Windows 7 or higher for temporary use of the full apps (not available for Mac).
- Download and install of current version of
- Office for Mac, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Office for Windows, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access.
- Can install on up to two PCs or Macs (or one PC and one Mac) and on up to two smartphones or tablets (including iPads), all for use by one person
- You cannot get additional installations by purchasing a second copy of Office 365 University. If you know that you are going to want to install on more than two computers, you should buy a different product, such as Office 365 Home.
- Both Mac and Win versions include
- 60 Skype world minutes
- One TB OneDrive storage
- Free version upgrades during the subscription period as they become available.
- Previous versions of Office are not available
- You cannot customize your installation by choosing which applications to install. The whole suite gets installed.
- If you're employed by the University of Wisconsin, please note that Office 365 University is not licensed for any UW-related work.
- If you don't renew your subscription at the end of four years:
- Your online documents will remain accessible to share and download.
- If you have reached your free 5 GB storage limit, you won’t be able to add more documents
- You will have the option to access and edit your documents saved on OneDrive using Office Web Apps.
- You may save your OneDrive documents to another computer or disk drive at any time.
- Office applications installed on your computer will enter a "read-only reduced functionality mode." That means you will be able to view or print documents, but you won't be able to create any new documents nor edit existing locally-stored documents.
- Office on Windows
- Office 2013, the current offering for Windows systems available with an Office 365 subscription, does not run on Windows XP or Vista.
- Office on Macintosh
- Office 365 requires OS 10.6
- Post-purchase verification of academic status is required of all users when they sign in to Office 365 online for the first time, so all purchasers must have an email address ending in .edu and use it for their Microsoft account.
- After purchasing, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org containing an installation key and a link to a Microsoft web page (https://academic.getmicrosoftkey.com/) where you enter that key. After that, the process walks you through:
- signing in to or creating a Microsoft account
- verifying your higher-ed student, faculty, or staff eligibility
- Downloading and installing Office
- Full installation procedure: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=28829