UW-Madison Google Apps - Download and configure Google Drive Desktop
The following document explains how to download, install, and configure Google Drive Desktop. Screenshots below are from a Windows machine, but instructions are provided for both Windows and Mac.
Log in to UW-Madison Google Apps with your NetID and password using the following URL:
If you have multiple UW-Madison Google Apps accounts, select your desired account from the list provided.
If you only have one UW-Madison Google Apps account, you will be logged into your account automatically.
- Click Download Google Drive from the menu on the left-hand side
- You will then be prompted to agree to the Google Drive Terms of Service
- For Windows: Click Accept and Install option
- For Mac: Click Agree and Download
- The installer will most likely open automatically. If it doesn't:
- For Windows: Find the installer file that was just downloaded -- googlefilesync.exe -- and double click to install
- For Mac: Open your Downloads folder and double click on installgoogledrive.dmg
- Finish installing Google Drive Desktop
- For Windows: Once you start the installer, it will go through a series of loading menus describing it's process of installing Google Drive. Follow the instructions provided.
- For Mac: Drag the Google Drive icon into your Applications folder
- A window will then appear, thanking you for downloading Google Drive. Click Sign in now.
If this prompt doesn't appear automatically:
- For Windows: Right-click on the Google Drive icon in the application tray -- located in the bottom right of your screen -- and select Sign in
- For Mac: If this window doesn't appear on it's own, Navigate to your "applications" folder and select Google Drive
- On the Sign in screen, enter your full email address. Then, hit Sign in. Do not enter your password here.
- You will be redirected to the NetID login screen. Enter your NetID and password.
- If you have multiple accounts, select your desired account from the linked account login menu, as shown below.
If you only have one account, you will not see this screen.
- Now that you've completed the sign in process, you'll see a Getting started window. Click Next.
- On the Advanced setup screen, select you preferred settings.
- Only Sync some folders to this computer allows to choose which folders are synced
- Sync Google Doc files allows you to enable offline viewing for Google Docs, Presentations, and Spreadsheets
- If you unselect Start Google Drive automatically when you start your computer, you will need to open Google Drive manually before a sync occurs
- For most users, we recommend selecting Automatically detect proxy settings to avoid connection problems
- Congratulations! Google Drive Desktop is now configured for your machine.