This document describes the conduct of UW-Madison IRB meetings.
- UW-Madison assures that IRB members have sufficient time before meeting to review research study materials.
- For an IRB meeting to be properly convened, a quorum must exist.
- A quorum for IRB meetings is:
- A simple majority of the IRB’s voting members, and the presence of at least one member whose primary concerns are in nonscientific areas.
- For the review of VA research at least one of the VA representatives on the IRB must be present.
- When the convened IRB reviews certain types of submissions in the case of federally funded research involving prisoners, the prisoner representative must be present as a voting member. A prisoner representative is counted for quorum purposes only when a prisoner research study requiring the presence of the prisoner representative is reviewed by the full IRB.
- If quorum fails during a meeting, the IRB cannot take further actions or votes until the quorum is restored.
- An IRB can lose its quorum when members with a conflict of interest leave the room for deliberation and voting on a research protocol
- No action is taken on the protocol until quorum is restored.
- An IRB member who is unable to be present at the convened meeting may participate by videoconference or conference call and be counted as part of the quorum.
- Alternate members of each IRB serve as substitutes for those primary members designated on the IRB roster. When serving on a convened IRB as substitute for a designated primary IRB member, an alternate has full voting rights and all the responsibilities of a primary member.
- If both a member and that member’s designated alternate attend a meeting, only one of the two may vote. In these cases, the IRB minutes will reflect who is attending as a voting member.
- IRB staff monitor the members present at convened meetings and determine that meetings are and remain appropriately convened.
- For research to be approved by the convened IRB, it must receive the approval of a simple majority of those IRB members present at the meeting.
- IRB chairs are voting members.
Adopted By: All Campus IRB
Adoption Date: November 10, 2005
Revised By: HRPP Advisory Committee
Date: March 1, 2012
Revised by By: Cross Campus Human Research Protection Program Advisory (HRPP) Advisory Committee
Revision Dates: December 11, 2014
Copyright © 2014 University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents