Retention of IRB Records
This document describes the record retention practices of the UW-Madison IRBs.
- The policy of UW-Madison is to keep IRB-related study records for 7 years after research is closed with the IRB (or is closed by the IRB) even if subjects have not been enrolled.
- IRB records not related to a specific study, including IRB meeting minutes, are kept for a minimum of 3 years after all studies referenced within the minutes are closed.
- The IRBs maintain a Records and Disposition Schedule with the State Archives in accordance with applicable Wisconsin State Statutes.
- All records are accessible for inspection and copying by authorized representatives of federal agencies or departments at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner.
- Requests by the public to see IRB records must go through open records request.
Adopted By: All Campus IRB
Adoption Date: November 10, 2005
Revised: March 1, 2012 by HRPP Advisory Committee
Revised: August 15, 2018
Copyright © 2012 University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents