Reentry Frequently Asked Questions
Many questions about the reentry application can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who may use the Reentry application?
- Anyone previously enrolled as an undergraduate who wishes to return to continue toward a first undergraduate degree.
- Anyone previously enrolled at the university in any program may apply as a University Special (non-degree) student.
Who may not use the Reentry application?
- Students applying for reentry to a graduate or professional program (Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine) should reapply to the appropriate admitting office.
- Students who have completed an undergraduate degree at UW-Madison or elsewhere and wish to return for a second undergraduate degree must apply through the UW System electronic application at apply.wisconsin.edu.
What if I want to complete a 2nd undergraduate degree?
To complete a 2nd undergraduate degree, you must apply through the UW System electronic application at apply.wisconsin.edu.
Do I have to reapply?
Anyone who has not been enrolled for one term or more, excluding summer, must reapply. If you were enrolled on or after the first day of classes, even if withdrawn, you were considered enrolled for that term.
What if the term I want to apply for doesn't appear?
The application deadline has either passed or the first day to apply has not yet been reached. Requests for reentry are available beginning August 1 of the previous year for summer and fall applications or February 1 of the previous year for spring applications.
Why am I being readmitted to my last major?
Policy requires undergraduates return to the major they were in when they last attended.
What if I want to change my major?
Once you have been readmitted, you may follow the normal procedure to change a major. Contact your school/college for more information.
Why am I being readmitted into a temporary program?
The program you were last in is either no longer allowing admissions or has been discontinued. Your reentry application will be referred to your academic dean. You should work with them to discuss which major(s) currently offered might best fits your needs.
What if my last major is no longer offered?
Your reentry application will be referred to your academic dean. You should work with them to discuss which major(s) currently offered might best fits your needs.
What if I was dropped for academic reasons?
You reentry application will be referred to your academic dean. You must obtain their approval to return.
What if I was dismissed for disciplinary reasons?
You reentry application will be referred to the Dean of Students Office. You must obtain their approval to return.
Why am I being referred to my academic dean?
- You were previously dropped for academic reasons
- The program you were last in is either no longer allowing new admissions or has been discontinued
- The major you were in when last attending is no longer offered
- All students applying as a University Special (non-degree) student are referred to the Adult Career & Special Student Services for admissions review.
Why am I being referred to the Dean of Students?
You were dismissed for disciplinary reasons and must obtain their approval to return.
How do I know the status of my application?
Your status can be found on the Reentry application page under 'Requests that have been submitted'
What if I took credits at another institution while I was away?
- Undergraduate applicants must submit official transcripts for every college or university attended since last enrolled at UW-Madison. The transcripts should include all college-level course work completed to date and your current term in progress (if applicable). Transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
- University Special (non-degree) students only need to submit academic records if directed to do so, by email, after your application has been received.
What if I am studying abroad on a UW-Madison program?
You are considered an enrolled student and do not need to reapply if you return the Fall or Spring immediately following your study abroad.
What if I am studying abroad on a non UW-Madison program?
You are not currently a UW-Madison enrolled student, therefore, you must reapply. If you are participating in a summer or winterim program, you do not need to apply for reentry.
What do I have to do after I have been admitted?
- You must complete the residency application. You can find the link next to your status on the reentry page or on the right side of the Student Center.
- Undergraduates must accept their admission in the Admissions section of the Student Center. More information can be found at https://admissions.wisc.edu/admitted-reentry-checklist/
When can I enroll for classes?
You may enroll after:
- You have been admitted and accepted your admissions in the Student Center (undergraduate applicants only)
- You have been activated for the term and assigned an enrollment appointment time (typically the next business day after you accept your admission)
- Your enrollment time has been reached
- Any enrollment related holds (academic, disciplinary, other) holds have been cleared
What are the enrollment dates?
- Fall enrollment begins the 11th week of the previous spring term. This is typically early April.
- Spring enrollment begins the 11th week of the previous fall term. This is typically early November.
- Summer enrollment begins the 10th week of the previous spring term. This is typically late March.
- Dates for upcoming term can be found here: https://registrar.wisc.edu/enrollment_release_schedule.htm
Why haven't I received an enrollment notification yet?
- You have not accepted your admission in the Student Center (undergraduates only)
- Your reentry application has been referred to your academic dean or the Dean of Students Office
- Enrollment appointment times have not yet been assigned
If you have further questions about the reentry process, email email@example.com