D2L - Binder Mobile App
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
The Desire2Learn Binder is a document reader that allows students to access D2L (Desire2Learn) course content directly from a mobile device (other than the iPhone).
- Access course content online or offfline
- Organize and tag content items
- Annotate (highlight, underline, take notes, etc.) certain types of content items
- Search text, bookmarks, or annotations
- Archive documents that are no longer needed
Steps for setting up Binder:
- Create a Desire2Learn EduDentity Account. This account is in addition to your D2L user login credentials (i.e. your NetID/password). To create your EduDentity account, visit this page and click the Create Account button. NOTE: Your EduDentity password must be at least 8 characters long.
- Watch your email that you provided on the EduDentity registration form. You should receive an email from EduDentity asking you to activate your account.
- Using your devices app store find and install Binder. http://binder.desire2learn.com/apps/
- Once installed, launch the Binder app on your device. You'll be asked to log in with your EduDentity username/password. Remember, this isn't your D2L login ID/password.
- Open the course containing content to be pushed to Binder and select "content."
- Locate the files within content, click on the arrow to the right of its name, and select "Send to Binder"
- You will now be prompted to log in to binder.
- After logging into Binder, a "sending to binder" dialog will be displayed.
- You lose the ability to “fetch” content items if an instructor makes the D2L course inactive or hides/restricts content.
- Instructors can prohibit some content items from being downloaded to Binder.
- Student access to content items through Binder won’t be registered in User Progress, so your instructor won’t see that you’ve accessed it if you only access it through Binder
- Supported document types include:
- Excel: XLS
- Images: JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
- Text: TXT, RTF
- Word: DOC, DOCX
- Power Point: PPT, PPTX