Security - Removing a Blackhole Block
If your computer is unable to connect to the campus network Wireless UWNet, it is possible that your internet access has been disabled. Internet connectivity has been denied to computers that have been infected by virus or other security vulnerabilities that can compromise the University network.
You can call the DoIT Help Desk (264-4357) to determine if your access has been disabled. If it has been disabled, the following steps will need to be completed before Internet access can be restored.
If it is found that your computer has been disabled, please complete the following steps to restore your internet access.
Note: If you are not able to perform these steps yourself, the DoIT Help Desk offers a free virus detection and removal service for up to 2 hours.
Install licensed Anti-Virus software.
- The software must be licensed and you must be a subscriber to the software’s update service.
- If you do not own Anti-Virus software, a licensed version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is available for students and faculty. You can download this from another computer, or come in to walkin for assistance.
Update Anti-Virus software with the latest definitions.
- Once installed, open Symantec Endpoint Protection and click Live Update. If Live Update fails, you can download the newest definitions at http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/.
- Updates for other Anti-Virus software will have to be performed manually. The updates should be available on the vendor’s website.
Perform a full scan of all hard drives in safe mode.
- Please see the directions for Windows - Booting into Safe Mode.
- Run a full scan of all hard drives. This scan searches for viruses as well as other security risks such as adware or spyware. Delete or quarantine all viruses. Record the names of the viruses.
- If a virus is found and a virus removal tool exists for that virus, the removal tool should be run to remove any remnants of the virus.
- All adware/spyware should be removed as well. See Detecting and Removing Malware
Install the latest Windows Updates (if you haven't already).
- See Windows - Using Windows Update for instructions on installing available updates for your version of Windows.
Once you have completed these steps, contact the DoIT Help Desk. Your internet access will not be restored unless a phone agent confirms that a virus or security threat is no longer present. If you fail to complete these steps and the virus or security threat is still present, BadgIRT will disable your internet access again.