FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
This document shows how to add or change appointment-level funding for Fiscal Year along with an employee's salary expense (e.g. earnings, deductions, taxes) in PeopleSoft HRS.
The Budget Level indicator of "Appointment" means that funding for the employee's salary expense is linked to their appointing department, employee ID, and employee record number. Appointment level funding is used for nearly all funding transactions at all campuses (the only exceptions are A96 and A80).
A new funding value needs to be added anytime an employee is hired, rehired, transferred, or their department changes. A new funding entry is also required for each fiscal year.
Funding is added once per campus, appointing department, Fiscal Year, budget level, employee ID, and employee record number on the Funding Data Entry page. The Funding Data Entry page, Add a New Value tab is used to add funding for the employee's current pay period or a future pay period, according to the Pay Schedules listed on the Calendars and Schedules page. The Funding Data Entry page in HRS does not adjust funding retroactively for payrolls previously completed.
When funding is populated or entered for a new fiscal Year, the Funding Effective Date varies by pay group and/or campus. An employee’s pay group can be viewed in the Payroll tab of Job Data (Main Menu>Workforce Administration>Job Information>Job Data).
The Funding Effective Date to be entered at the start of the Fiscal Year for current:
- A-Basis employees (all campuses) will always be July 1;
- H-Basis employees (all campuses) will be the Period Begin Date for the 20XXBW07A payroll that includes July 1. H-Basis employees (all campuses) will be the Period Begin Date for the 20xxBW07A payroll that includes July 1.
- C-Basis, S-Basis, and V-Basis employees will vary by campus and will be the Period Begin Date for the 20XXUNC07M monthly payroll (except Oshkosh). Although salaries are not paid on the C-Basis payroll, funding needs to be in place to fund employer share prepaid fringes.
The funding effective date for employees with a Job Data Action of Hire, Rehire, Transfer or Department Change that is effective after the Period Begin Date of the 20XXUNC07M or 20XXBW07A pay period will be Effective Date of the Action.
Funding for an employee's salary expense must be entered by end of the day on final calc day in order to take effect for the current payroll period.
NOTE: The funding entry process is the same for all types of UW employees, whose pay basis is Academic, Annual, Hourly, Lump, Summer Service or Summer Session.
Fiscal Year End Special Notes:
Each year as part of the Fiscal Year End Budget Import and Funding Rollover process, HRS will automatically populate the new Fiscal Year appointment level funding for most active employees. Refer to the Fiscal Year End website, located on the UW Service Center, Finance home page.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to that section:
Add Appointment Funding for Employee's Salary Expense (first time only)HRS Security Role Needed: FI Campus Funding One BU, FI Campus Funding - All Campus
- View the employee's HR Job Data record to verify their unique 8-digit Employee ID, Empl Record Number of their Current or Future job, 7-character appointing Department of their Current or Future job, the job effective date of the action that requires funding entry.
NOTE: The appropriate job row and effective date that require funding may not be the first row in a record. Use 'Include History' and scroll through job data rows to find the appropriate effective date and row for the hire, rehire, transfer or department change. Example of HR Job Data Record in HRS:
- Obtain the necessary source document, this document lists salary funding information for the employee's salary expense (ex. effective date, fund code, funding department, program code, project grant, funding percentage, earnings code). Documentation should be available from your financial representative/controller's office.
- From the HRS main Menu, use navigation path: Set Up HRMS > Product Related > Commitment Accounting > Budget Information > Budget Funding Data Entry.
- In the Funding Data Entry screen, click the Add a New Value tab.
From your source document, enter data into the required funding data entry fields.
- Set ID - Pre-populated with value 'SHARE', leave as is
- Business Unit - Pre-populated with your business unit
- Department - Appointing Department ID; of the employee's Current or Future job matching Job Data.
- Fiscal Year - 4 digit year for the fiscal year the funding is being entered
- Note: Fiscal Year begins July 1 and ends June 30.
- Budget Level
- Note: Always use Appointment level funding, this means you are funding the salary expense of one person in one appointment.
- Empl ID - verify it is correct
- Empl Rcd Nbr - of the employee's job being funded, verify that the correct empl record number is used.
- Click the Add button.
Note: If you receive a message, "The value you tried to add already exists", this means appointment-level funding has already been entered for this Appointing Department, Fiscal Year, Empl ID and Empl Rcd Nbr combination.
- The Funding Data Entry page displays for the employee. Verify the appointing department, fiscal year, employee name,employee ID, and employee record number are correct.
- The Budget Data section displays the most recent HR information from the employee's Job Data, regardless of job action. This means that the most recent rows may not be for hires, rehires, transfers or department changes.
From your source document, enter the following funding distribution information:
- Effective Date (Enter the funding Effective Date). The funding Effective Date should be either the employee's Hire/Rehire/Transfer/Department Change personnel action date, found on Job Data - or - the first day of the fiscal year (e.g., 7/1/20XX); whichever date is later.
- GL Business Unit (defaults to your campus, but can be modified, if needed) Example: UWMSN
- Fund (3-digit fund code) Example: 101
- Dept ID (6-digit funding department number without the alpha character) Example: 534255
- Program code (1-character Program code) Example: 4
- Project (7-character Project/Grant ID, if applicable) Example: PRJ46MW
Note: If a Project is entered, a Project End Date column will display the ending date of the project/grant. This field is not editable. (This is the project end date; not the budget end date).
- Distrib % (total percentage that will be expensed from this fund, department, program, etc.) You can use up to 3 decimal places, if needed.
Note: In order to save properly, all percentages under the Distrib % column must total 100.000%.
- ERNCD (Earnings Code), if applicable, when a specific payroll earnings code (such as for Retro Pay, Overload, Overtime) should be funded differently than regular pay. For more details, refer to KB FN - Designate Funding for Payroll Earnings Code Differently Than Regular Pay .
Note: This is not common when adding funding for the first time.
- To add a new funding row, click the plus icon at the end of the row (used when the funding distribution is less than 100% and you need to add an additional line to total 100%)
- To delete a funding row, click the minus icon at the end of the row.
- Click the Save button, located at the bottom left portion of the screen. PeopleSoft HRS validates the funding information
entered against edit rules in place in the Shared Financial System (SFS).
- If processing errors are detected, a message window appears.
- Correct any errors found.
Note: For more information about error messages, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase document FN - Resolve Error Messages on Funding Data Entry Page .
- If processing errors are detected, a message window appears.
Changing Current Funding RecordNavigation: Set Up HRMS Product Related > Commitment Accounting > Budget Information > Budget Funding Data Entry >Find an Existing Value.
- Enter information to find the employee with the funding you wish to change, then click Search.
Note: If you receive the message, "No matching values were found this may mean that no appointment level funding was entered previously for the Fiscal Year for the employee's appointing department, Employee ID, and Empl Record Number. If no appointment level funding was entered previously for The Fiscal Year for the employee's appointing Department, Employee ID, and Empl Record Number, you will need to add it by selecting the Add a New Value tab. (see above)
- If the search criteria results in multiple records, select the applicable record
Note: In the Search Results area, for multiple records, you can click on any column heading (e.g. Fiscal Year) to sort in either ascending or descending order before selecting the applicable record.
- The Funding Data Entry page displays for the employee
- The top part of the screen shows the Fiscal Year (e.g. 2016) and Appointing Department (e.g. A073600).
- The Budget Data section shows the two most recent Job Effective Dates (abbreviated Eff Date) from the employee's HR Job Data record in HRS. However, the action reason and description are not shown. Before entering funding, you should always analyze the employee's HR Job Data record for their Current or Future job. Navigation path is: Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
- The Funding Distribution grid at the bottom of the screen shows current (or future-dated) funding for the employee's regular earnings, deductions, and taxes. This funding will remain in effect for the rest of the Fiscal Year.
Guidelines for Changing Funding:
- The funding effective date be the Pay Period Begin Date of the employee's current or future payroll calendar within the Fiscal Year, or the most recent hire, rehire, transfer or department change, if this information has not been previously entered in the current fiscal year.
- Future funding effective dates should not exceed 30 to 60 days of actual salary charges because of Job Data and funding change that may occur.
- Each day of the employee's pay period should be funded, even if the employee will not be working on that date. Each day of the fiscal year should be funded for all employees who are active employees on the pay period begin date that includes July 1
- Any funding changes must be entered by the end of day that final calc occurs in order to take effect for the current payroll.
Add a New Effective Dated Funding Row
- Click the Add a new row icon (plus sign)
Note: If you have View-Only access to the Funding Data Entry page, you will not see a plus icon in the Budget Data section scroll area.
- When a new funding effective dated row is added:
- The new information becomes the current row, and the previous information is historical. The new information is displayed first.
- A new, blank funding Effective Date displays.
- The funding Eff Seq (effective sequence) field indicates 0 for the first entry, 1 for the second entry, etc., for multiple entries with the same funding effective date.
- The funding Status field (e.g. Active) and funding distribution data are copied from the previous funding effective date.
- In the new, blank Effective Date field, enter the date you want the salary funding change to take effect. The funding Effective Date will usually, but not always be the Pay Period Begin Date of the employee's current or future UW Payroll Calendar.
Note: The employee's Pay Group (located on their HR Job Data record, Payroll tab) determines the applicable payroll calendar, with specific pay period begin and end dates. See KB PY - Pay Group Descriptions
- In the new Funding Distribution grid section, enter the updated salary funding information, per your source document.
- To delete a funding row, place the cursor at the end of the row you wish to delete, and click the minus sign.
- To add a new funding row, click the plus sign.
- Verify that all the percentage numbers under the Distrib % column total 100.
Note: You may use up to 3 decimal places, if needed.
- The ERNCD (earnings code) column is only used to designate that a specific payroll earnings code (such as for an Overload, Retro Pay, Overtime, for example) is funded differently than an employee's regular earnings, deductions, and taxes. For more details, refer to KB FN - Designate Funding for Payroll Earnings Code Differently Than Regular Pay .
- To save the new salary funding changes for the specified funding effective date, click the Save button, located at the bottom left portion of the screen.
- The message, Processing, will display for a few seconds in the upper right portion of the screen. This means HRS is validating the funding information entered against edit rules in place in the Shared Financial System (SFS).
- Correct any errors found, and click Save again. For more information about error messages, refer to KB FN - Resolve Error Messages on Funding Data Entry Page ,
- If no errors are found, the message, Saved displays for a few seconds in the upper right portion of the screen.
- To add new effective dated row(s) to enter more changes to salary funding for The Fiscal Year, repeat steps above.
Using Correct History to Make Funding ChangesUse of Correct History to make changes on the funding page should be very rare and should only be used to change a previously entered Effective Date to an earlier date. For example, the Funding Effective Date was entered as 9/1, but the date needed to be entered as 8/31 to match the date in Job Data.
Correct History should never be used to:
- Change a funding string. A new funding row should be entered to add a new funding string, even if it is for the same date as an existing entry.
- Delete a funding string. There is no limit on how many funding rows can be added in the funding screen, but existing funding entries should never be deleted.
- Add funding as a result of a Hire, Rehire, Transfer or Department Change. New rows should be added in all cases.
There are also infrequent instances where an existing funding entry does not match with Job Data and users receive a “Not Eligible for Budget Definition” error, see KB FN - Resolve Error Messages on Funding Data Entry Page . In those case, we recommend contacting the Service Center. The Job Data and existing funding entries will be analyzed and a corrective funding entry will be made.
Contact the Service Center for assistance if a situation is encountered where it appears that the use of Correct History is the only available option for an issue other than a date change.
- FN - Resolve Error Messages on Funding Data Entry Page
- PY - Pay Group Descriptions
- FN - Customize Funding Distribution Grid Column Order and Sort Order
- FN - Run the Employee Funding Summary Report
- FN - Run the Funding Change Report
- FN - Run an Appointment Funding Total by Pay Period Report
- FN - Run Report Showing Employee Funding Becoming Inactive
- FN - Funding Checklist and Timelines
- HR - View Job Inquiry/Employee Job Data Record in HRS
- PY - Pay Basis Descriptions
- FN - Designate Funding for Payroll Earnings Code Differently Than Regular Pay