D2L - Customizing the Google Maps Widget (UW-Madison)
In D2L you can use widgets to customize your course homepage. By default, D2L's Google Maps widget shows the Madison, Wisconsin location. However, you can customize the widget to show another location by default.
Next, follow the instructions below to add a customized Google Maps widget to your course homepage:
- Click Course Admin and select Edit Course.
- Click Widgets.
- In the Custom Widgets tab, scroll down to the Google Maps widget.
- Click the Copy icon next to the widget.
- Click Yes in the confirmation message. You will now see a new widget in the list, entitled “Google Maps - Copy.”
- Click the Edit icon next to the "Google Maps - Copy" widget.
- In the Properties tab, change the Name and Description (optional).
- Click the Content tab. You'll see the content editor and the current Madison map.
- Use the "Delete" key to remove all of the current map content from the widget until the editor window is completely empty. Now, you will add a link to a new Google Maps location of your choosing.
- Follow these instructions from Google Maps on how to get the embed code for a Google Maps location.
- Once you have the embed code for your desired map location, go back to the widget editor in D2L and click the Insert Stuff icon in the top left corner of the toolbar.
- Click Enter Embed Code and in the Embed Code field, paste the embed code you generated in Google Maps.
- Click the Next button at the bottom of the screen. A preview of the code appears.
- If everything looks correct, click the Insert button at the bottom of the screen to insert the embed code. You will be taken back to the widget editor.
- Click the Save and Close button to save the new Google Maps widget.
- At the top of the widget list screen, click Homepages.
- Add the modified Google Maps widget to your course homepage.