Learn@UW - Customizing the Google Maps Widget
In Learn@UW you can use widgets to customize your course homepage. By default, Learn@UW's Google Maps widget shows the Madison, Wisconsin location. However, you can customize the widget to show another location by default.
Next, follow the instructions below to add a customized Google Maps widget to your course homepage:
- Click Course Admin and select Edit Course.
- Click Widgets.
- In the Custom Widgets tab, scroll down to the Google Maps widget.
- Click the Copy icon next to the widget.
- Click Yes in the confirmation message. You will now see a new widget in the list, entitled “Google Maps - Copy.”
- Click the Edit icon next to the "Google Maps - Copy" widget.
- In the Properties tab, change the Name and Description (optional).
- Click the Content tab. You'll see the content editor and the current Madison map.
- Use the "Delete" key to remove all of the current map content from the widget until the editor window is completely empty. Now, you will add a link to a new Google Maps location of your choosing.
- Follow these instructions from Google Maps on how to get the embed code for a Google Maps location.
- Once you have the embed code for your desired map location, go back to the widget editor in Learn@UW and click the Insert Stuff icon.
- Click Enter Embed Code and in the Embed Code field, paste the embed code you generated in Google Maps.
- Click the Next button at the bottom of the screen. A preview of the code appears.
- If everything looks correct, click the Insert button at the bottom of the screen to insert the embed code. You will be taken back to the widget editor.
- Click the Save and Close button to save the new Google Maps widget.
- At the top of the widget list screen, click Homepages.
- Add the modified Google Maps widget to your course homepage.