Substantially Redirect a Degree/Major: Curricular Change

Protocol established January 2017


A greater than 50% curricular change requires academic approval by the faculty of the academic department or unit, the dean of the school/college, the Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (graduate programs only) and the University Academic Planning Council.

After these campus approvals, UW System approval is required under SYS 102, Section 3.2.2

See also Section 3.2.2

For information about this requirement contact:
Jocelyn Milner
Vice Provost, Academic Planning and Institutional Research

Background Information

Changing over half of the requirements or required courses for a degree/major represents a substantial redirection of the academic program and as such requires approval beyond the school/college level and UW System approval. Approval and notification of curricular change are required whether the degree/major changes names (see Guidelines for Renaming Degrees or Academic Majors) or disciplinary focus (i.e. CIP code).

Information to Include in the Proposal

  1. Name and contact information for lead faculty member for the degree/major
  2. Primary contact person, if different, and their contact information
  3. Degree/major and named option (if applicable)
  4. Effective term for the changes and timeline for implementation
  5. Rationale for the change
  6. Potential impact on enrolled students
  7. Potential impact on faculty and academic staff
  8. A complete listing of current requirements and courses
  9. A complete listing of proposed requirements and courses

Approval Process

Step 1. The proposed curricular change is first approved by the program faculty.

Step 2. The proposal is approved by the dean, under the advice of the school/college academic planning council.

Step 3. The dean’s office forwards the proposal to the Office of the Provost and the Graduate School (graduate programs only) with a supporting cover memo from the dean to the provost, copy to the vice provost for academic planning and institutional research.

Step 4. The proposal will be subject to faculty approval through the Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC, graduate programs only) and the University Academic Planning Council (automatic consent for changes approved at GFEC).

Step 5. After campus approval, information about the curricular change will be submitted to UW System Office of Academic and Student Affairs.

Reference: Substantially Redirect a Degree/Major: Curricular Change

See Also:

Keywords:requirements, revise, revision, academic program   Doc ID:30683
Owner:Melissa S.Group:Courses and Academic Programs
Created:2013-06-13 12:47 CSTUpdated:2018-11-05 14:25 CST
Sites:Courses and Academic Programs
Feedback:  0   0