[ay15-16] Moodle - Restrict Access to Activities using Groupings
Adding Groups to Groupings
This article outlines how to restrict activities or resources to a certain group in a course using groupings.
To add groups to a grouping:
- Find "Settings" block
- Click Users under "Course Administration" > Click Groups > Select Groupings tab
- Create a Grouping by selecting Create Grouping (see above image)
- Click Show Groups in Grouping icon in the "Edit" column (see below image)
You can now Add/Remove groups from the groupings you have created.
Groupings can always be edited from this page.
Restricting Access to Activities
To restrict access to/from one grouping:
First ensure that "Group Mode" is set to "Visible Groups" or "Separate Groups"
Check this by clicking Edit Settings under "Course Administration" in the "Settings" block.
- Go the the activity that will be restricted
- Click the Edit settings link of the Settings block for the activity.
- Under "Common module settings" choose the desired Group Mode and Group that the activity will apply to
- Next, go to the "Restrict Access" subsection and click the button to add a restriction.
- Select "Grouping" and then select the grouping that you want (or don't want) to have access.
Click the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page.
Students will only see the activities they have been assigned to. Teachers will see the name of the grouping in brackets after the activity name on the course page. A count of activities assigned to each grouping is kept on the groupings page.
Note: If a graded activity is assigned to a particular grouping only, it will still appear in the gradebook for all users unless gradebook categories are set up in a certain way. See MDL-13868 for further details.
Note: You cannot make an activity visible to only one group of students without first placing them into a grouping.