UW Digital ID (Win) - Outlook 2013 Bug Sending Signed Messages
Why does Outlook 2013 hang/stop working when you try to send an email with a digital signature?
This document assumes that you have already installed your digital certificate to sign your emails
If you have not installed your digital certificate then do so by following the directions here Installing your digital certificate
What causes the bug
If you install the digital certificate via the Outlook import certificate method versus the Windows Certificate Import Wizard the bug will occur.
Fixing the bug
Make sure you have a backup of your digital certificate saved as a file before you start the procedures below
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on Control Panel
- Click Network and Internet and then click Internet Options
- Click on Content
- Under the content tab under the Certificates section click on Certificates
You will then be presented with the screen below:
- Click on the certificate you wish to remove then click Remove
- Then re-install the digital certificate you backed up using the Windows Certificate Import Wizard rather than from the import certificate method within Outlook.
- When done reinstalling return to Outlook 2013 and try to send a signed message after choosing Options | Sign :