Resources for Committee Members - Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC)
Faculty members serving on the Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC) will most often engage in three main areas: program approvals/changes, program reviews, and Graduate School policy discussions and decisions. Generally, faculty appointees to the committee will find that their attendance and participation at the meetings, and the review of GFEC materials in advance will constitute a large part of their contribution as a GFEC member.
Another major piece, however, will be involvement with program reviews in which the GFEC member serves as an active member of graduate program review committees. These program review committees ultimately prepare written reports which are later briefly summarized by the GFEC representative in front of GFEC.
Program approvals and reviews are vetted by individual units, schools/colleges, the GFEC, and the University Academic Planning Council (UAPC). The UAPC is the governance body that receives program approvals/reviews after their inclusion at GFEC. Generally, program approvals/reviews that are viewed favorably at GFEC receive a similar response at UAPC given GFEC's exclusive focus on graduate-related issues and programs.
Program Approval Governance Overview Chart
Program Approval Resources
Program Review Resources
- About the Committee - Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC)
- Contacts for Graduate Program Reviews and Approvals - Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC)
- Archived Meeting Schedules, Agendas and Minutes (2016-2010) - Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC)
- Instructions and Deadlines for Submitting Materials - Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC)
- Handbook Template for Graduate Programs