Learn@UW - Grade Schemes
Grade schemes in Learn@UW allow you to weight items in your gradebook, as well as the final grade. The weighing can be translated to letter grades or any text of your choosing.
Example of a grading scheme:
The University of Wisconsin-Madison, offers a standard grading scheme if instructors choose to use it.
A = 95-100% = 4.0 GPA
AB = 90-94% = 3.5 GPA
B = 85%-89% = 3.0 GPA and so forth.
If, for example, you wished to populate the grade book with letter grades, you would set up a grade scheme that placed a numerical value to each letter grade, as above.
Creating a New Scheme
1. To create a new grade scheme, first click on Grades in the navigation bar.
2. Click on the Schemes tab, and then the button.
3. For your reference, give your scheme a Name (required)and Short Name.
4. You must now set up the "Range" for your grade scheme. The range setup consists of two main parts: "Symbol" and "Start %."
- Symbol: The symbol is the text you wish to appear in this range. Most commonly, it will be a letter grade, although you could choose to use phrases such as excellent, satisfactory, etc.
- Start %: The start % is the bottom of the grade range. For example, if an "A" is given to students who score 90 - 100%, you would enter A for the symbol and 90 for the Start %, as shown below.
Note: Since the range always starts from the bottom, "100" is ordinarily not used as a Start % (unless the scheme is applied to a selectbox item type).
- Assigned Value %: The assigned value is used for the Selectbox (or pulldown) and Checkbox grade item type.
- The Assigned Value % can be left blank for Numeric grade item types.
- For Selectbox and Checkbox item types only: The numeric value entered in the Assigned Value % for Selectbox and Checkbox types will be the value assigned to that grade. Recall that for checkbox item types, the checkbox needs to be selected and unselected to record a zero grade.
6. When finished, there should be a range for each grade you intend to give. For example:
7. After you complete all your changes, click .
Applying a scheme to a grade item or final grade
1. Applying a grade scheme to a single grade item (or column) in the gradebook is done in the Properties screen of a grade item.
2. When creating a new grade item this option appears after a column type is selected.
3. To apply a scheme to an existing item, under the Manage Grades tab click on the name of the grade item to open the Edit Item page.
4. A list of grade schemes, including the one just created, will appear in the dropdown list under the Grading heading.
5. Click when complete.