Backup Solution - CrashPlan (Important Changes)
The University of Wisconsin-Madison encourages students, faculty and staff to backup their personal computers utilizing either an external hard drive or a cloud backup service. If interested in a cloud back-up service, CrashPlan is an optional cloud backup service available at a discount for personal use by students, faculty and staff on the UW-Madison campus.
Important Changes to
CrashPlan for Home Service
For more information please see https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/
CrashPlan offers a 25% discount on one year subscription plans for UW-Madison students, faculty and staff. Your subscription may be renewed as long as you have a
@wisc.edu email address. Once you no longer have a @wisc.edu email address you will have the option of switching to a regular CrashPlan subscription. You must purchase the subscription from the CrashPlan UW-Madison store front to receive the discount.
This easy-to-use cloud service encrypts and backs up your files automatically; and it allows you to backup your personal data to (and access your files from) other computers and external hard drives. You can also access your files from a mobile device. It is available for Mac OS, Windows, Solaris and Linux.
Other commercial cloud back-up services are also available and equally as effective in backing up your personal computer. Please contact the DoIT Help Desk if you have any questions
Steps to Getting Started
- Purchase subscription at CrashPlan using your @wisc.edu email address. Reminder: unlimited plans (1yr-4yr, not monthly) have a 25% discount.
- Download and install client http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/download.html
- Create your user account https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Getting_Started/Creating_Your_Account
Activate your license key https://support.crashplan.com/Subscriptions/Activating_Your_CrashPlan_License_Key
- Start your backups https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Getting_Started/07_Start_Your_Backup
- General documentation - step by step documentation on CrashPlan
- Restoring Files - documentation on how to restore files
- Troubleshooting - problem-solving strategies for diagnosing / correcting problems
- Reference Guide - detailed explanations of each item on each screen in the CrashPlan desktop
- Mobile App - documentation for your CrashPlan mobile app
- FAQ's - answers to common backup questions
- All support for CrashPlan is done directly with CrashPlan and not from DoIT. You can access support by going to http://support.crashplan.com/
- You may contact CrashPlan via chat, email or phone.