NetID Login Service - Service Description
This document gives an overview of the NetID Login Service. It is divided into the following sections:
The NetID Login Service provides applications with a means to authenticate using NetID and password. It was designed to give application administrators a reliable way to allow access to their data, without setting up their own authorization system.
The NetID Login Service works as follows:
- User attempts to access a protected web resource.
- If user has authenticated recently (within the last 8 hours), they are granted access. Otherwise, they are redirected to the UW Central Authentication site (https://login.wisc.edu)
- The UW Central Authentication site will prompt for NetID and password. If the user successfully authenticates, they will be redirected to the original resource.
For more information, please see NetID Login Service: Getting Started.
To receive NetID Login Service support from the DoIT Help Desk, you must:
- Have a valid NetID and eligible to access a NetID Login Service protected application, or be an application administrator.
- Be using a NetID Login Service Recommended Browser.
The NetID Login Service login page is located at https://login.wisc.edu. Any user with a valid NetID can login; however, you must have special authorization to use any of the applications protected by the NetID Login Service.