D2L - Student Calendar Entries (UW-Madison)
D2L allows students to add events to either their personal calendar or a group calendar. Students cannot add classwide calendar events unless a group is created for the entire class.
Creating a group for students to enter classwide events
To allow students to post calendar events visible to the entire class, it is necessary to create a group of all students. To create this group:
- Click on the Course Admin link in the navigation bar, then click on Edit Course and then select Groups from the Learning Management section.
- Click on New Category
- Give the category a name (for example, "Chemistry 103 Calendar")
- Under "Enrollment Type", select "# of Groups" and enter 1 for Number of Groups;
- Click Create.
- To rename the group under the category you just created, click on the group name, "Group 1." Rename your Group Name to something that will indicate to students they should select this group when creating a calendar event (e.g. "Class Calendar, click here");
- Click Save.
The group (e.g. "Class Calendar, click here"), consisting of all members of the class, will now appear when creating a calendar event as the name entered.
Note that a calendar can be created for any group (e.g. a section or an instructor calendar) using the same process.
Adding Calendar Events
- To add an event to the calendar, click on the Calendar link in the Navbar or use Calendar widget the dropdown menu .
- Click Create Event
- Enter the information for the event including the name and date. You may also add a description of the event, and an event time.
- Instructors only: Select the Everybody in the Course Offering option to create an entry visible to all participants in a course. Additionally, you may attach course materials to an event (like a deadline).
- Click Create when finished.