WiscWeb CMS - Adding Google Analytics To Your Site
Google Analytics is a service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about a website's traffic and traffic sources. This document will walk you through the process of creating a Google Analytics account and adding it to your site.
- Navigate to Google Analytics
- If you have already created an account, click Sign in. If you have not, click the Create an account button.
- Be sure to create an account that is relevant to your department, and not a personal account.
- Once you have gone through your sign-up process and verified your account, you'll be directed to the starting steps for your Google Analytics. Click the Sign up button.
- The next page asks you to enter several pieces of information such as your site name and URL, the site category, and your time zone. You will also create an account name, and choose who this data can be shared with outside of yourself. Once you have entered this information, scroll to the bottom and click Get Tracking ID.
- You will be prompted to accept the Terms of Service Agreement from Google. Click I Accept.
- On the next page, select Admin from the menu bar.
Under the Property column, select Tracking Info, then choose Tracking Code
Here you are given the Tracking ID for your analytics, as well as the code that needs to be entered on each page. These two items are what is necessary to update your site.
- Please Note: The next steps can only be taken for those projects and sites that are using the Standard Template. If you have a customized site, you will need to copy and paste each of those items into an e-mail message and send it to email@example.com, also stating your project name. The WiscWebCMS team will then apply those values to your site for you to use.
- Log into WiscWebCMS with your NetID and Password, and make sure that your project is selected.
- At the Table of Contents page, click the red dot next to Table of Contents to open this page.
- On the right side of the Table of Contents page, there is a Google Service Settings section. There, click on the red dot next to Use Google Analytics: No text.
- Please Note: To learn more information about using Google Translation Services, refer to the KB document: ;WiscWeb CMS - Adding Google Translate to your website
- In the next screen, change the pull down menu answer on Use Google Analytics option from No to Yes
- Your Table of Contents screen will update, and you now should click the red dot next to Edit Analytics Code.
- Click Open the Text Editor in the next screen.
If you are using the Responsive Standard Template
- If you are using RST, currently you are unable to add the code in yourself. Please e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name, project name and copy and paste the Tracking Code (This is the code inbetween <script> and </script>). The WiscWebCMS team will then apply those values to your site for you to use.