Mac OS - Service Description
This document gives an overview of Mac OS.
BackgroundMac OS is the Apple software program that allows the computer hardware to communicate and operate with the computer software. In more recent additions of the Mac OS, functions like networking and multimedia have been added. Mac OS X is an advanced operating system that include new features and significant enhancements to its Unix-based foundation.
Mac OS includes the following features:
- iCal: personal calendar application
- iChat: instant message application
- iSync: synchronization software
- Mail: e-mail application
- Quicktime: multimedia playing and authoring application
- Safari: default web browser
- Software update: enhancements software
For complete Mac OS support information, please see Apple Product Support.
Support ConditionsThe DoIT Help Desk provides support for the following versions of Mac OS:
- Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), and 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
Note: Mac OS 9, X v10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 are NOT supported. Mac OS X v10.4 is best-effort support only. However, we can help customers upgrade from these older OSs to a supported version of OS X if the computer can handle a newer version of the OS.