WiscWeb CMS - Adding A Custom Google Search To Your Site
WiscWebCMS projects and sites have the ability to add a custom search engine to their site This document will walk you through the process of creating a Custom Google search engine and adding it to your site.
- Navigate to Google Custom Search
- Click the Sign in to Custom Search Engine button.
- If you have already created an account, enter that information and click Sign in. If you have not, click the Sign Up button in the upper right corner of the window.
- Be sure to create an account that is relevant to your department, and not a personal account.
- Once you have gone through your sign-up process and verified your account, you'll be directed to the starting steps for your Custom Google Search. Enter your site URL in the Sites to search field. Be sure to use an asterisk (*) at the end to encompass your entire site. The instructions on screen help you determine which parts of your site to search.
- Once you have set your options, click Create.
- On the next page, you should get a confirmation screen that indicates that the custom search engine has been created, with several options for you to use the search engine.
- To add this Custom Google Search engine to your site, click on the Get code button.
- Select all of the text within the grey box, and copy it. Paste that information into an e-mail message and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, also stating your project name. The WiscWebCMS team will then apply that code to your site for you to use.
- Lastly, follow the instructions at https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/70354?hl=en to disable ads in your search results.