UW-Madison National Science Foundation (NSF) Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training Requirement
The National Science Foundation, by mandate of the United States Congress in the America Competes Act Section 7009, requires all undergraduate students, graduate students and
postdoctoral researchers supported by NSF
research funding to receive training in Responsible
Conduct of Research (RCR). All undergraduate students, graduate
students and postdoctoral researchers supported by NSF research funding
at the University
of Wisconsin-Madison must take the Responsible Conduct of Research
course in Learn@UW (course # 2480630). This training is also
recommended for those not currently required to complete this course.
If you are working with a student who does not have a NetID, please contact Heather Mc Fadden for assistance.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-890-2468.
This applies to all NSF awards granted for proposals submitted on or after January 4, 2010.
Help desk for UW-Madison NSF RCR training: email@example.com or 608-890-2468.
Course Registration Information
To register for the course, please use your UW NetID and password to log-in to Learn@UW. Once logged in, please complete the steps below.
Directions of completing NSF RCR Training:
1. Please log-in to Learn@UW (https://learnuw.wisc.edu/).
2. Under your "My Course Dashboard" on the right side of the screen, you should see "Direct Access to Desire2Learn." Once you click on this, the self-registration option appears.
3. Click on "Self-Registration" and you should see a list of courses.
4. Please select "Responsible Conduct of Research (a)".
5. Once the next screen appears, please click "Register".
6. After registering, you will see the Registration Form. Please click "Submit". The registration summary will take you directly to the course. Please use the "Next" button to advance the training. The course is also viewable from the Learn@UW homepage.
7. Once you have completed all modules, please be sure to complete the RCR certification. Please note there is only one question. Once you have answered the question, please submit the quiz.
Notice of Training
PIs receiving NSF funding for research will be notified of this requirement in the NSF Notice of Award. The Office of Research Policy and Integrity will also notify the PI and the department of the requirements via email. In addition, individuals who must complete training will be identified via payroll records and notified of their training requirements. Once an individual is notified of the requirement, he or she will have 30 days to complete the training module in Learn@UW. Subsequent email notices will be sent as reminders to complete training. If the individual does not complete the training within the 30 day window, he or she will be removed from the NSF award and paid with non-sponsored departmental funds.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education has created look-up tools to assist PIs and RCR Coordinators with tracking online course completion. Please use your UW NetID and password to log-in.Principal Investigators
Administrators and RCR Coordinators