How to Appoint Short-Term Trainees on NRSA Training Grants
Enrolled UW Students (Graduate or Professional)
• Students can be payrolled as “Trainees” (Title code Y23NN, Program 9, Account 5712 for “A” basis)
• Third-Party deferral can be done using regular procedures.
• Students must be registered for courses during their tenure as trainees.
• If the grant does not pay tuition/fees, students must pay the full amount of tuition/fees.
Non-Enrolled UW Students (Graduate or Professional)
• Graduate or professional students doing short-term research can be payrolled as “Graduate Intern/Trainee” (Title code X75NN, Program 2, Account 1151 for “A” basis).
• Fringe benefits for this title are at the Research Associate/Graduate Intern rates (typically lower than trainee).
• Trainees can be paid via Payment to Individual Report (Program 2, Account 5709)
Postdoctoral Trainees• Postdoctoral trainees can be payrolled as “Postdoctoral Trainee” (Title code X30NN, Program 4, Account 2720 for “A” basis)