D2L - SCORM Best Practices and suggested settings (UW-Madison)
When creating learning objects for use in D2L, there are a few recommended settings and practices that can help ensure exercises function properly.
SCO package must reside in D2L
To use SCORM tracking in D2L, the exercise zip must reside in D2L using the process described here.
SCORM 2004, 3rd Edition
For optimal tracking of student progress and scores, it is recommended that SCORM 2004, 3rd Edition be used for learning objects. However, note any known issues.
Tracking progress and scores
Begin by carefully considering your needs for tracking of student progress and scores. For example, consider whether it is important that students be able to continue an interrupted lesson precisely where they left off, or whether grades will be assigned. If grading will be done, one must define what a student must do to be "complete" or "successful." For example, is credit gained by simply accessing the exercise, or must a student view a number of slides, or achieve a minimal quiz score. Leaving scoring options at their default settings will likely result in undesired grading.
It is best to set the "Report status to the LMS" option to "Pass/Fail" because a student must achieve "success" for a score to be reported in D2L. In other words, the student must meet the criteria set for passing.
It is recommended to enable the "Send data on each slide" option (under "Reporting & tracking" in Storyline, and "Advanced" in Captivate). However, do not "send resume data." This option will disable a student's ability to continue where they left off, but the data reporting is cleaner for learning management systems (like D2L).
To avoid changing the names of the Content module and item names in D2L, it is advised to add a title for course and SCO/Lesson identifiers. In Captivate, these settings are under the "Configure" option. In Articulate, the settings are under "Reporting and Tracking."
A free account can be created in the SCORM Cloud service to test the functionality of a learning object. However, exercises exported from SCORM Cloud and then imported into D2L will likely not work.
- Things Every SCORM Test Should Do When Reporting Interactions
- SCORM Publish Settings in Articulate Studio and Storyline Products
- Tips and Tricks: Secrets to Adobe Captivate and SCORM-Compliant Learning Management System Integration
- D2L - What is a SCORM Learning Object (UW-Madison)
- D2L - Importing a SCORM Learning Object and associating with a grade item (UW-Madison)
- D2L - Viewing SCORM Reports on objects and users (UW-Madison)
- D2L - SCORM Known Issues (UW-Madison)
- Adobe Captivate - Setting up a presentation to report a quiz grade to a learning management system (UW-Madison)