L&S Stewardship Resources
This document contains information and best practices for stewardship communications and gift impact reporting to alumni, donors and friends.
Stewardship Best Practices
This document includes best practices for unit level stewardship and gift impact reporting.
L&S departments can download the L&S Stewardship Best Practices for information about writing thank you letters, emails, social media, personalized thanks and more.
You can also reference Easier, Faster Thank Yous courtesy of the UW Foundation.
Questions about Stewardship
- Donors want timely acknowledgement of their gift
- Donors want to know how their was used and what was its impact
- Donors at all levels enjoy personal communication
- Alumni donors feel the strongest connection to the UW brand
3. When should I thank donors?
- Chairs and department administrators should review donor reports monthly. The "month closed" email notice from UWF can serve as a reminder.
- Ideally, Thank Yous should be sent monthly
- Campus Access http://www.supportuw.org/campus-partners/services/web-access/
4. How can chairs/directors and their team thank donors?
- With a letter or email
- In your unit’s newsletter
- With a personal phone call or note
- Via social media
- Coordinate formulating Thank Yous with your UWF Director of Development and/or L&S Office of Advancement
5. What are the basic characteristics of effective thank yous?
- Timely and free of errors
- Include human outcomes and impact on achieving key goals (transformational research, teaching, outreach)
- Does not solicit another gift
- Invites open communication "(e.g. "Keep in touch by sending your news")
- Coordinate formulating of TYs with UWF director of develop and/or L&S Office of Advancement
6. How can my unit use its newsletter to steward gifts?
- Strategic story selection with stewardship as a primary goal
- Stories should directly state and demonstrate impact and department priorities, not just a “donor profile”
- Consult with L&S Director Communications Megan Costello
7. How can my unit produce effective personalized Thank Yous to donors?
- Determine how many donors you can personally thank, strategically selecting which donors to give personal attention (e.g. board members or gifts over a certain amount)
- Enlist colleagues and students, who have been trained in effective TYs
- Handwritten notes
- Phone calls
- Donor Relations Guru (sample Thank Yous): http://www.donorrelationsguru.com/ssb/TGSS
UWF Stewardship Resources
- Gift Acknowledgement Levels & Tips http://www.supportuw.org/wp-content/uploads/UWFGiftAcknowledgementLevelsTips.pdf
- Easier, Faster Thank Yous http://www.supportuw.org/wp-content/uploads/EasierFasterThankYous.pdf
- Show gratitude with a great thank you letter http://www.supportuw.org/wp-content/uploads/ScholarshipRecipientAcknowledgmentTips.pdf
- Stewarding your donors (August 2013 presentation) http://www.supportuw.org/wp-content/uploads/Stewardingyourdonors.pdf
UWF and Campus Resources
- Information for Campus Partners https://www.supportuw.org/campus-partners/
- Sharing Your Stewardship Story https://www.supportuw.org/share-your-story/
- About Stewardship https://www.supportuw.org/about-us/stewardship/
- Using Gifts https://www.supportuw.org/campus-partners/using-gifts/