2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 11, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Members present: Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel (by conference call), Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair; Robert Newsom, Kevin Niemi, Jeff Shokler, Past-Chair; Erin Silva, Vice-Chair.
Guests: Gene Masters, Districting and Representation
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes for June 27, 2013 were approved with minor corrections.
Announcements/Good Works: ASEC commended the academic staff of the School of Education’s Media, Educational Resources, and Information Technology (MERIT) for their Knitten Mittens project. Individuals are invited to come to MERIT, room 301 Teacher Education between 12:00-1:00 on Mondays to help knit 25 pairs of mittens for donation to the Madison public schools. ASEC also recognized the Districting and Representation Committee for their work in improving the online process used to assign academic staff to districts.
Assembly Standing Committee Chair Reports
Districting and Representation Committee – Gene Masters/Brian Dieth: The online system is now generating WiscLists for all districts enabling DRC to move the maintenance of the lists to the office of the Secretary of the Academic Staff. ASEC and Gene then discussed the potential of reviewing and possibly revising districting guidelines in the current year.
Chair – Heather McFadden: Heather reported on information from Darrell Bazzell in which he indicated that the pay increase will be provided as an across the board 1%. New programs on awareness of sexual assault and alcohol consumption are being presented to incoming students. The search for the Secretary of the Academic Staff is proceeding.
Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff – Jo Ann Carr: The office is developing materials for the new secretary and finalizing the Assembly handbook. They have received three pending appeals and one formal appeal.
- Recruiting Assembly Representatives: Jo Ann shared the list of districts for which she is still seeking representatives. Jo Ann will send this information to ASEC, the Standing Committee chairs, Assembly members, and the CASI’s to ask their assistance in recruiting representatives.
- Appointment letter for Assembly Representatives: ASEC reviewed and revised a draft appointment letter for new assembly representatives and asked that the SOAS send a thank you letter to continuing representatives. The letters should be sent by e-mail and in hard copy and include the UW Madison Academic Staff Facts with the mailing. The page How to be a Good Assembly Representative should be replaced with the Assembly Representative Responsibilities in the Assembly handbook.
- ASEC operating procedures: ASEC reviewed their draft ASEC operating procedures and continued their discussion of the duties of the chair and the vice chair. They requested that the SOAS provide them with a list of the standing committees and Committees on Academic Staff Issues.
- Preparation for 2013-2014 Priority Setting Meeting: ASEC discussed the importance of using the priority setting meeting to set the tone for the current year as well as strategies to be used to identify major issues to be addressed
- Next ASEC Meeting, July 18, 2013– for decision: The draft agenda was reviewed and revised.
- Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments to the Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee, members of a working group on extraordinary salary ranges and ASEC liaison assignments. (Moved by Jim Maynard. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to name Karin Silet to the Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to appoint Russell Dimond and Jenny Dahlberg or her designee to be named to a working group to work with representatives from OHR and the Provost’s office to propose new criteria for extraordinary salary ranges, to report to ASEC on a regular basis, and to have a proposal ready by the end of September. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to recommend re-appointment of Muggs Helin, James Delehanty, and Alan Huang to the Distinguished Prefix Review Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Approval of ASEC liaisons for 2013-2014.
- Reconvene in open session. (Moved by Jeff Shokler. Seconded. Approved.)
The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 p.m.