Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 11-12-12
1:30-3:00 p.m. Monday, November 12, 2012
Bascom Hall, Room 67
Members present: Daña Alder, Vice Chair; Marwa Bassiouni, Heather Daniels, Denny Hackel, Heather McFadden, Jim Maynard, Robert Newsom, Jeff Shokler, Chair; Erin Silva
Guests: University Committee (UC) Members: Michael Bernard-Donals, Mark Cook, Jo Ellen Fair, Peter Lipton, Dietram Scheuffle, David Musolf (Secretary of the Academic Staff); Melissa Amos-Landgraf (PPPC); Carl B. Hampton (Special Assistant to Vice Provost Damon Williams); Eden Innoway Ronnie (Provost’s Office); Becky Menghini (Chancellor’s Office).
The meeting was called to order at 1:31 p.m.
• Discussion with University Committee on issues of mutual concern
- HR Design: Mark Cook, UC Chair, reviewed the process that preceded the decision by the Faculty Senate to defer their vote on the HR Design plan. ASEC and UC discussed their anticipated next steps as well as the perception that governance’s role is not being supported by the campus administration. Mark Cook on behalf of UC indicated that he feels the governance process has worked very well.
- Proposed College of the Arts: UC has identified issues and questions that must be addressed. ASEC needs to contact academic staff in these units to better understand their viewpoints. The Provost’s office reported that George Watson of OQI will be working on addressing these funding issues.
- Charge to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee: UC met with Damon Williams and Marlys Macken to discuss the best format to move forward with the campus diversity plan. ASEC stressed the need for an assessment component and accountability measures to be an important part of the plan.
- Assembly Ad Hoc Committee on Multiple Roles: Robert Newsom, the co-chair of this committee, reviewed the charge and history for the committee. The committee’s goal is to find a win-win approach that meet expectations of faculty and staff and codify and define appropriate multiple roles for academic staff. The Secretary of the Faculty stated that FPP 1.03. A defines academic staff as “individuals with instructional, research, outreach, or administrative responsibilities” This rule has always been interpreted that except on an incidental basis, the ‘or’ is the operative word. UC asked ASEC look at this issue very objectively as the committee proceed.
- WARF Request and Allocation Committee: This is a new committee put together as a result of the proposed restructuring of the grad school.UC will remind the committee of their commitment to working with ASEC.
- ASEC and UC agreed that a joint meeting should happen again.
• Next meeting for decision-November 15. ASEC will next meet on November 29.
The meeting adjourned at 2:47 p.m.
Submitted by Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff