Approved June 13, 2013
2:00-4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 6, 2013
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni, Heather Daniels, Past-Chair; Denny Hackel, Robin Kurtz, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Vice-Chair; Robert Newson, Jeff Shokler, Chair; Erin Silva
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, CEBC; Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Provost’s Office; Bob Lavigna, OHR; Steve Lund, OHR; Mark Walters, OHR
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.
The ASEC minutes for Thursday, May 23, 2013 were approved with minor corrections.
Good Works: Jim is one of twenty-one recipients of the Educational Innovation grants. Erin received a Morgridge grant to develop a service-learning course in partnership with the Middleton Outreach Ministry.
- Convene in closed session pursuant to Wisconsin Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to consider appointment of nominees for Academic Staff Assembly Representatives and representatives to shared governance committees. [Moved by Jim Maynard. Seconded by Robert Newsom. Approved.]
- Motion to accept the nominees for Academic Staff Assembly Representatives as presented. [Moved by Robin Kurtz. Seconded by Heather Daniels. Approved.]
- Motion to approve the nominees for shared governance committees as presented by the Nominating Committee. [Moved by Robert Newsom. Seconded by Jim Maynard. Approved.]
- Motion to move out of closed session. [Moved by Heather McFadden. Seconded by Jim Maynard. Approved.]
- Discussion of Governance Letter from Chancellor Blank-ASEC discussed the draft prepared by Heather McFadden
- Next meeting for discussion: The June 13 meeting will be a review of ASEC, operating structures, officers and their roles and workload issues.
- Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff: ASEC agreed that the list of Assembly Reps did not need to be included in the handbook. ASEC will meet at their regular time on Wednesday, July 3 and Wednesday, July 24. ASEC members were reminded about the interviews for the candidates for Secretary of the Academic Staff on June 10, 12, 13 and 17 and about the thank you lunch for Heather Daniels and Robin Kurtz on June 26.
- Heather Daniels and Denny Hackel, HR Design Advisory Committee: Will be meeting in late June or early July to review the impact of the budget on the work of the committee. Met with chair of University Staff Advisory Committee to explain changes in the HR Design Strategic Plan status.
Guests: Bob Lavigna, Steve Lund, Mark Walters: HR Design Strategic Plan changes requiring statutory change would be delayed from July 2013 to July 2015 in the budget approved by the Joint Finance Committee. OHR has been reviewing the changes proposed by the work teams and identifying those that do not require statutory change and distributed a draft document on the HR Design Strategic Plan Status. They are putting together a plan for next two years as well as those changes that will be implemented July 1, 2015. ASEC stressed the need for the development of a plan to address public perception issues regarding the UW System fund balance and to inform campus when information about campus finances is being distributed. OHR will provide the maximum amount of flexibility that they can within the existing constraints. ASEC also asked about UW System plans for moving forward with the HR Design. CEBC asked ASEC what is the plan to address morale issues.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:54 p.m.
Submitted by Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff.