Office 365 (Outlook on the web) - Import Contacts
You can use Outlook Web App to bring contacts from other email accounts (or address books) into your Office 365 account.
In addition, Outlook on the web can only access the Global Address List (GAL) - which means only Office 365 accounts will be returned when performing a search via Outlook on the web. If you perform a search and are unable to find the account you are looking for, you can use the UW-Madison Directory Search site to find the user you are looking for. If this is an account that you will be interacting with on a regular basis, you may want to create a new contact within your Office 365 account for this account.
Important items you need to know?
- If the same contact is in your Contacts folder and in the .csv file, a duplicate contact will be created.
- If you try to import more than 2000 contacts at a time, you'll see an error message. Use a program such as Excel to open the CSV file, separate your list of contacts into smaller .csv files, and then import each newly created file.
How do I import contacts using Outlook on the web?
Note for Thunderbird users: Importing contacts from Thunderbird will create contacts with an email address in the 'notes' field instead of the 'email address' field, meaning that each contact must be modified to move the email address to the proper location. To fix this issue, review the following documentation prior to performing the import. If you will also be using Outlook 2010 or 2013, you can use these instructions to import your contacts using the desktop client. These imported contacts will then appear in Outlook on the web as well.
- Export the contacts from your other email account to a .csv file. Note where you save the .csv file.
- Sign in to Outlook on the web.
- Open the app launcher tool in the top left of your Outlook on the web window as shown below.
- Click People.
- On the toolbar, click the down arrow next to Manage and select Import contacts.
- For 'csv' file, select "Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016".
- Click Browse to locate and select your file.
- Click Upload.
- Wait while your contacts are imported. A successful message will be displayed.
- Click Cancel to exit out of the import process.