D2L - Using Content completion tracking and viewing class and user progress (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
Completion tracking enables instructors to set the method of completion for an activity and provides progress indicators for students as they complete course activities.
Default Completion Method:
- Automatic Completion Completion tracking that automatically determines whether users have completed a topic when they click on a topic to view it. For some activities, automatic tracking requires users to participate in a chat or discussion, submit a file or form, or complete an assessment such as a quiz or survey before completion is successful.
- Manual Completion Completion tracking that is manually set by users. Users can select the completion check box beside each content topic to indicate they have completed the topic. Although users can use manual tracking to indicate that they have accomplished a task before it is completed (e.g. selecting the completion check box beside a quiz activity before attempting the quiz at all), this does not affect assessment scores or user attempts counted towards an activity.
Note: Changing an automatically tracked topic to manual completion resets completion tracking for that topic. This means that users might have to return to the topic to mark it complete; users do not need to resubmit files or assessment activities.
- On the Table of Contents page, locate the module that you want to edit.
- Click the dropdown menu to the right of the module title and and select Set All Completion
- Select one of the following from the topic/module's completion tracking drop-down list:
- Required: Automatic
- Required: Manual
- Not Required
For a topic:
- Locate the topic you want to edit
- Click the dropdown menu to the right of the topic title and select Edit Properties In-place
- Underneath "Add a description...", you will see a dropdown menu to set your completion options; by default, it is set to Not Required.
You can view general information about completion tracking for all users using "View Reports" within the content tool. You can get to this tool by navigating to the Table of Contents and clicking on Related Tools - View Reports.
From this page, you can view progress by either Content or Users - you can navigate between the two using the tabs. The Content page indicates the total number of users, how many have visited the Content tool, how much time has been spent viewing course material, and how many topics have been visited. Expand the report details under each module to find a further breakdown of each content item. The expanded details show all topics and sub-modules within the module, how many users visited each topic, and how much time was spent in each topic. The users page breaks down each user's activity within the content tool.
Adapted from Desire2Learn documentation