Moodle - Attendance Module
This article explains the Attendance Module in Moodle.
1. Press Turn editing on in the upper, right-hand corner of your Moodle page
2. Press Add an activity or resource under the desired Week or Topic.
3. Select Attendance and the click Add.
4. Choose your desired settings for your Attendance Module and select Save and display.
1. Click the Add Tab as shown below:
2. You can now create one/multiple sessions.
a. To create one session: Leave "Create multiple sessions" unchecked. Under "Session Date", choose the date and time you'd like to report attendance for and select the duration for the class (Most likely 00 50 or 01 15). Press Add session.
b. To create multiple sessions: Check the "Create multiple sessions". Under Session Date, choose the date for the first session you would like to report (Most likely the first day of class) and the time your class starts. Next, choose the duration of the class. For "Session end date", choose the date that the class will end. Check the days of the week that your class will meet, then under "Frequency", choose how often the class meet (i.e. 1 means every week, 2 means every other week, etc.). Press Add session.
3. You will be shown "Session successfully generated". This screen should last a few seconds and then you'll be taken to the default Attendance screen.
1. First, click on the date button and choose the date you would like to take attendance for as shown below:
2. Next, click the green circle under "Actions" as shown below:
3. On the next page, you can choose the proper attendance grade for each student. The default options are P (For Present, worth 2 points), L (for Late, worth 1 point), E (for Excused, also worth 1 point) and A (for Absent, worth 0 points). See the "Change Attendance Settings" section below to customize these values.
4. Click Save attendance to finish.
Changing Attendance Settings
1. On the default Attendance screen, click the Settings tab as shown below:
2. Change the Acronym, Description and Grade Options to the desired values.
Using Groups with Attendance
1. If you would like to use groups to separate your students when taking attendance, first groups need to be set up. Instructions for setting up groups can be found here. If groups are already set up in the course, go to step 2.
2. After creating an attendance activity, select Edit Settings in the "Administration" block on the left of the screen.
3. Open the drop down labeled "Common Module Settings" and select Visible Groups or Separate Groups in "Group Mode".
Separate groups - Each group member can only see their own group, others are invisible, does not allow entire class attendance to be taken at once (must always use groups).
Visible groups - Each group member works in their own group, but can also see other groups, allows entire class attendance to be taken at once.
4. Save settings at the bottom of the page.
5. After you enable group mode, you will be able to select certain groups when Adding a session.