Graduate School Seminars for Programs (GSSP) Advertising Tips for Presenters and Coordinators
This document provides tips to help you advertise for your GSSP events. Publicizing events is the responsibility of the individual presenter or coordinator for each event. Upon request the Graduate School Communications Office will provide guidance on creating a communications or advertising plan.
- Event title - the catchier the better
- Brief description
- How to register (e.g. https://www.ohrd.wisc.edu/Home/Default.aspx?TabId=293)
- Who to contact with questions
- CoordLink newsletter - Kathi Matthews-Risley sends out a call for content ~5 times per year.
- Direct emails - When the timing of your event does not coincide with the publication schedule of the CoordLink newsletter, you can use firstname.lastname@example.org to email graduate program coordinators directly. Additionally, you can obtain a list of other roles (DGSes, chairs, etc.) from the Unit Directory.
- Public WiscLists - Found here: https://admin.lists.wisc.edu/index.php?p=10.
- Private WiscLists and other listservs - Email the event announcement to any private listservs you're on, and ask colleagues who which additional lists they'd recommend to reach the desired audiences.
- GSSP events calendar - More info coming soon.
- Paid* advertisement in InsideUW, distributed weekly to over 30,000 UW-Madison staff, faculty, and graduate assistants - Read the Media Kit found here: http://insideuw.wisc.edu/advertising/.
- Paid* advertisement in TheWeekly, distributed weekly to over 42,000 undergrad, grad, and professional students, as well as subscribers - Read the Media Kit found here: http://insideuw.wisc.edu/advertising/.
- Written piece in TheWeekly or InsideUW - If your event that is "news worthy", as determined by University Communications staff, it may be eligible for publicity free of charge as general content. Contact Graduate School Communications Director Kathi Matthews-Risley (email@example.com), if you think your event may meet their content guidelines (http://insideuw.wisc.edu/submitting-content/).
- Flyers - Templates for Graduate School use only found here. To avoid waste and have the most impact, be selective in who you distribute flyers to.
- Word of mouth - Don't underestimate the power of getting others excited about your events and asking them to tell others.