Commencement for Graduate Students
This document outlines the Apply to Graduate application new in Spring 2014 as well as questions about commencement and warrant requests.
Apply to Graduate Process (MyUW Student Center)
- In order to have a graduate student's name listed in the commencement program, the graduate must apply to graduate through the MyUW Student Center. The is the only way that a name will appear in the program.
- The application will be available to both Master's and Doctoral candidates throughout the term. The deadline for students to fill out the Apply to Graduate application in MyUW Student Center and have their name listed in the commencement program will be determined each semester. The deadline can be found in the degree deadline calendar http://grad.wisc.edu/currentstudents/degreedeadlines/ The student will be asked to indicate what semester they plan to graduate, which commencement ceremony they plan to attend, and the faculty escort information for Ph.D., DMA, and MFA students.
- Graduate program coordinators will no longer be asked to submit lists of names of expected graduates to the Secretary of the Faculty or the Chancellor's Office. The MyUW Student Center component is the updated way that students will indicate their participation in the commencement ceremony.
- A demo of the Apply to Graduate process can be found on the Registrar's website (note: there are specific instructions for graduate students that are not reflected in this demo, but the process is the same) http://registrar.wisc.edu/isis_helpdocs/studentrecords_demos/ApplyForGraduation/ApplyForGraduation.htm
- Program coordinators will still need to request degree warrants for all students as in the past.
- For Master's students only: graduate program coordinators will need to submit e-warrants to the Graduate School by the deadline indicated each semester: http://grad.wisc.edu/currentstudents/degreedeadlines/ to ensure that the student is able to apply to graduate through MyUW Student Center.
Commencement Ceremony Information
- Commencement planning has moved from the Office of the Secretary of the Faculty and is now coordinated by Carrie Olson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Chancellor's Office.
- Spring Ceremony: (Friday at the Kohl Center & Saturday at Camp Randall)
- The ceremony for professional degree candidates, Ph.D.s, MFAs, and other terminal degree candidates (including the following Graduate School degrees: Au.D., DMA, and DNP) will be held on Friday at the Kohl Center. Significant changes are not expected for this ceremony. The following programs are included: Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Musical Arts, Doctor of Juridical Science, Juris Doctor, Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Pharmacy, Doctor of Audiology, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Laws, Master of Laws-Legal Institutions, Master of Public Health, Master of Physician Assistant Studies.
- All bachelor’s and most master’s degree candidates (including the following Graduate School degrees: M.A., M.S., M.Acc., MBA, M.M., M.Engr., MFS, MIPA, MPA, MSW) will celebrate in a single ceremony on Saturday in Camp Randall Stadium. The ceremony is expected to last 75 minutes and degree candidates will not march across the stage. The ceremony will include the following master’s degree programs: Master of Accountancy, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Engineering, Master of International Public Affairs, Master of Music, Master of Professional French Studies, Master of Public Affairs, Master of Science and Master of Social Work.
- Winter Ceremony: (Sunday at the Kohl Center)
- All bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and professional degree candidates will celebrate in a single ceremony on Sunday at the Kohl Center during winter commencement.