BN - WED - UW_BN_AGE_70
This query will identify employees who are currently age 70 or will be turning age 70 in the upcoming 30 days, who are enrolled in State Group Life and/or Income Continuation Insurance so that Benefit Administrators can counsel the employees in advance to help them understand how their benefits and premiums will change and make the necessary changes in HRS.
- Employees who remain actively employed are eligible for the State Group Life Age 70 benefit plan (SGLB70). A number of tasks must be completed in HRS to accurately reflect both the changes in coverage level as well as ensure the appropriate rates are charged.
- An age 70 Annual Benefit Bases Rate (SGL7) must be set up for the employee equal to 50% of their pre-aged 70 Basic SGL benefit. This will ensure that the employee will no longer have premium deductions for this plan from their payroll check. The effective date of the ABBR change needs to be the deduction begin date.
- An ADM Event will need to be created effective First of the Month in which the employee turns age 70 to manually enroll the employee into the State Group Life Basic 70 (SGLB70) Benefit Plan, waive the Supplemental (SGLSUP) and Spouse/Dependent Coverages (SGLSD1 / SGLSD2) that the employee is no longer eligible for at this time. The Enrollment Code/Reason used for this ADM Event should be: Change Benefit Plan - Premium Waiver
- NOTE: Additional coverage will continue unless the employee completes an enrollment form to voluntarily cancel the coverage or terminates employment.
- A second ADM Event will need to be created to waive the Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) benefits which the employee is also no longer eligible for at age 70. The Income Continuation Insurance coverage terminates on the date the employee turns age 70. The effective date for cancelling the insurance premium is the first of the month following age 70 and premium deductions are discontinued. The Enrollment Code/Reason used for this ADM Event should be: Cancel Coverage - Age 70.
- Benefit Administrators must counsel employees of the changes in SGL and ICI based on age and their options (if applicable) for canceling Additional coverage.
- The Benefit Administrator will then mark the employee as complete on the WED.
PROCEDURE STEPS:1. Log into HRS and click on the UW_BN_AGE_70 query hyperlink in the Workflow Exception Dashboard (WED).
2. Click the 'check to Claim' checkbox next to the person you wish to work with and your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
3. Open a new Window by clicking the hyperlink in the upper right hand corner of the Home Page.
4. In the new window, navigate to Workforce Administration, Personal Information, Modify a Person, enter the Employee's Empl_ID, and click Enter.
5. Obtain the Date of Birth from this screen.
- Changes in State Group Life will occur first of the month in which an employee reaches age 70.
- Income Continuation Insurance will end the First of the month following the month in which the employee reaches age 70.
6. Navigate to Benefits > Review Employee Benefits > Current Benefit Summary for a list of all Benefit Plans the employee is currently enrolled in.
- Note in this example, the employee is enrolled in State Group Life, Supplemental, and Income Continuation Insurance.
7. State Group Life Insurance rates are based on a formula that uses an Annual Base Benefit Rate (ABBR). To review the employee's current State Group Life ABBR, navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBR's and enter the Empl_ID for the employee.
- When an employee reaches age 70, a new 'SGL7' Annual Base Benefit Rate type must be entered to ensure the employee will be charged the correct rates for State Group Life Basic coverage. The amount should be set to 50% of the current 'SGL' ABBR amount.
8. To add an SGL7 ABBR, navigate to the Update Annual Benefit Base Rate page: Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Update ABBR's
- Enter an ABBR type of SGL7, then tab to the Effective Date field.
- Enter a date equal to the first of the month, prior to the month the employee reached age 70, then tab to the ABBR Rate field. (This is the deduction date, which is taken one month early.)
- Enter a dollar amount (with no comma) equal to 50% of their current State Group Life amount and Save. (Please note: employees must have an ABBR set up on each active Empl_Rcd.)
9. Now that the employee has an SGL ABBR set up, you will need to add an ADM Event (or multiple if the employee is in ICI) to make changes to their enrollments.
- For information on how to add an ADM Event to the BAS Activity Table, please refer to: BN - Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table .
10. Once you have added your ADM Event(s), return to the WED by closing this window or clicking on the Home key located in the upper right hand side of your screen.
11. Click the Link to Correct hyperlink (BAS_ON_DEM_EM) next to the employee you wish to make changes for.
- A new window will automatically open for you with the employee's On Demand Event Maintenance screen.
12. Process the ADM Event following KB: BN - Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance .
- Current elections will usually default into any ADM Event; however, it is critical to ensure that ALL elections that are reflected in this Event are correct for the Effective Date you are using. If enrollments are done out of sequence (i.e. back-dated), the ADM Event may not always pick up the correct data.
- Enter an Enrollment Code of "Cancel Coverage," a Reason of "Age 70," and enter the first of the month in which the employee turns age 70 as the App Received by date unless the employee has provided you with an enrollment form to make changes to their SGL Additional coverage.
- Change SGL Basic Option Code to the SGL Age 70 Option Code. Enter "WAV" as the Option Code to cancel the SGL Supplemental and SGL Spouse/Dependent plan
13. Repeat this process with the ADM Event effective first of the month following age 70 if the employee was enrolled in ICI. 14. Navigate to the employee’s Base Benefit Pages to confirm that all changes have been made: Benefits > Enroll in Benefits > Life and AD/D Benefits > Enter the employee’s Empl_ID and Enter. Examples of the State Group Life Basic enrollment and the ICI enrollments are shown below.
15. Navigate back to the WED page by clicking on the “Home” link at the top right of your screen:
16. Mark the error “Completed” on the WED page:
- Once the error has been fixed, the employee will fall off the WED report the next business day.
Benefit Administrators should send an Age 70 Notice to the employee regarding the changes. Here is a sample letter for use:
Subject: Sample Age 70 Notice to Employee
Our records indicate that you are enrolled in the State Group Life Insurance (SGLI) and/or the Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) and are now or will soon be turning age 70. There are changes to the SGLI and ICI plans’ coverage when an employee reaches age 70.
State Group Life Insurance
The State Group Life Insurance plan has the following adjustments effective the first of the month turning Age 70 :
• Basic Unit (1x annual salary) - The Basic coverage premium is discontinued and the coverage continues at an amount reduced by 50%.
• Supplemental Unit (1x annual salary) -Any Supplemental coverage will terminate.
• Spouse and Dependent coverage ($5,000/$10,000 or $10,000/$20,000) - Any spouse and dependent coverage will terminate on the date the employee turns 70.
• Additional Unit(s) (1x, 2x, or 3x annual salary) - Any Additional coverage will automatically continue until you voluntarily cancel the coverage, stop paying premiums, or terminate employment – whichever occurs first.
Income Continuation Insurance
The Income Continuation Insurance coverage terminates on the date the employee turns age 70. The effective date for cancelling the insurance premium is the first of the month following age 70 and premium deductions are discontinued.
If you have any questions, please contact our benefits office at...
- RR - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table
- BN - Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance
- BN - Reprocessing Events Using On Demand Event Maintenance
- UWSC Support - Personalize HRS Home Page Content and Layout