How can I determine my classification or class standing?

The following section provides information regarding classification for L&S undergraduate students.

Undergraduate students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are classified by year according to the number of credits and grade points they have earned.   Advanced Placement (AP) credits, retrocredits, and transfer credits will have an impact on a student's classification.    Thus, a freshman (first-year student) with AP/IB credits, retrocredits, and transfer credits might be classified as a sophomore or  junior for registration or the Dean's List purposes.   

An L&S undergraduate student can determine his/her classification by referring to the following:

  • Freshman (first year): a student has fewer than 24 degree credits
  • Sophomore (second year): a student has at least 24 degree credits
  • Junior (third year): a student has a minimum of 54 degree credits a
  • Senior (fourth year): a student has a minimum of 86 degree credits 

For more information, see class standing in the Guide under academic status

Keywords:classification, class standing, year classification, graduate   Doc ID:38197
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2014-03-05 14:22 CDTUpdated:2017-09-25 16:44 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  30   19