Office 365 (Outlook on the web) - Recreate Snapshot Calendar Events
When an account is migrated/transitioned to Office 365, a unique calendar snapshot (named as the same as the email address of the transitioned account) is created in the Office 365 account which will contain a snapshot of all the events between January 1, 2006 and January 1, 2020.
Important: In the example below, Bucky Badger has two email accounts (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) which he is consolidating into one Office 365 account. Both contain calendar data. Bucky also has a calendar snapshot of the resource calendar he was the primary contact for. The following image is what his calendar screen will look like after the transition to Office 365 when viewed via Outlook on the web.
As you can see, there are four calendars in his Office 365 account:
- This is the primary calendar within the account. It will be empty.
- email@example.com - calendar
- This is the calendar associated with firstname.lastname@example.org account and will contain calendar events that were in this account.
- email@example.com - calendar
- This is the calendar associated with firstname.lastname@example.org account and will contain calendar events that were in this account.
- email@example.com - calendar
- This is a resource calendar that Bucky was the primary owner of.
Important: Until events are placed within your primary calendar, Calendar, other Office 365, and Scheduling Assistant users will see you as free.
There are two types of events:
- Events that do not have any attendees (appointments).
- Events that contain attendees (meetings).
Note: As you can see, the major difference between these two events is the inclusion of attendees (and organizer) within the body of the event.
How to place an event from your secondary calendar (snapshot) into your primary calendar - CalendarNote: It is recommended that you only recreate events that are occurring in the future. You can leave the events in the past as they are now for historical information.
- Log into Office 365 account via Outlook on the web.
- Open the app launcher tool in the top left of your Outlook on the web window as shown below.
- Select calendar from the list of available apps.
- Click on your secondary calendar (snapshot). All the events within this calendar will be shown in your view.
- Double-click on an event you want to move to your primary calendar.
- Click on the Edit button. See a description of all the fields you can modify.
- To move the event from your secondary “snapshot” calendar (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), click the drop-down arrow and choose "Calendar", as shown in the screenshot below:
- If the event was a meeting and you were the organizer (this information would be located in body of the event), then add all the attendees to the "Attendee" field. If you were not the organizer, then leave the attendee field blank. Important: If an attendee is a resource calendar (such as a conference room), confirm that the resource has been created and you have the necessary permissions to invite it before attempting to add to the meeting invitation.
- If the event is part of a recurring set, then use the 'Repeat' box to recreate the recurrence pattern.
- Make sure the 'Show as' and 'Reminder' values are set to the desired options.
- Make any other changes/updates and click SAVE button.
To verify the event has been moved to your primary calendar, Calendar, only have Calendar selected (a check mark next to it) from the list of calendars in your view.
Repeat this process for the next event in you secondary calendar. Important: future events that were part of a recurring series do not need to be recreated, since you already recreated the series from a previous instance. The only thing you may need to verify, is if the event was a meeting and you were the organizer of the event, make sure the attendee list is up-to-date for that specific event within the recurring series.
Important: If you have recreated (or moved) all the desired events from your snapshot calendar and placed them in you primary calendar (Calendar), you can delete the snapshot calendar by right-clicking on the snapshot calendar name and selecting Delete from the sub-menu. Remember, once deleted, the snapshot calendar cannot be restored.