UWMSN - JEMS HIRE - Introduction to System
Introduction to JEMS Hire.
- This document applies only to UW-Madison. Users from other campuses should refer to documentation intended for their campuses.
This document provides an overview of the JEMS Hire System. It also provides details about functions/tabs that are used on any hire, rehire, transfers, or multiple hire made in the JEMS Hire System.
Main Menu Screen
From this screen the following functions are available:
|1||Click the Hire/Transfer button to start a new hire or transfer.|
|2||Click the Summer Hire button to create a summer session/service appointment for a currently active C-Basis employee who will be in "Short work break" from their academic year appointment.|
|3||Click the My New Hire Basket button to see the Hire/Transfer employee records requiring review.|
|4||Exit out of the System.|
JEMS System Search - Quick Search Tab
By Clicking the My New Hire Basket button, the below screen appears.
The first time logging into the JEMS HIRE system, a default search profile is set-up. The default is composed of the assigned UDDS authorization with the 'Current Status" of 'Draft'. This default it also loaded into the Quick Search Criteria and will automatically populate anyone in this status. If there are no records in this status then the following message appears: 'No Records Were Found'.
To change the default click the Change My Search Profile button and update.
The first tab on the User Profile screen stores the default into the 'My Basket' default criteria (shown below). See 'Helpful Hints' below for suggestions on recommended settings.
- Department Level Staff - Set the 'Current Status' to default to <Blank> to see all department employees that are in JEMS Hire at the various statuses.
- Division Level Staff - Set the Current Status to default to <Department Approved> to see what is in your basket that needs immediate attention.
- The second tab on the User Profile screen stores contact data. This data can be used to populate fields on the HR Contacts tab.
JEMS System Search - Advanced Search Tabs
The Advanced Search function provides several additional criteria that can be used to locate a JEMS Hire record. The more fields left blank, the more information that will pull back.
Search for records in more than one status by selecting multiple options in the Multiple Selection Criteria section.
The Search Results can be viewed online or printed on a hard copy (PDF format -- Adobe Acrobat viewer required), or in a spreadsheet format (Excel program is required. Also, your machine security settings must be adjusted to allow spreadsheet format).
List of Tabs and Fields
|Find/Add Hire||Search to see if the person is in the system. Enter Recruitment Type and PVL/Waiver (if required)..|
|Person||Person Effective Date, name, DOB, Gender, Ethnic Group, Selective Services, National ID; Foreign National (for tax purposes) is created, updated and viewed.|
|Person Contact||Person's home and office address, home and office phone and the employee personal (Not Official) email address is created, updated and viewed.|
|Position||Position Effective Date, Position Number (after the appointment is successfully pushed to HRS and the status is changed to FINISHED), Department, Empl Class, Job Code, FTE & HR Department Location are entered, updated or viewed.|
|Job||Hire Type, Empl Rcd# (if a brand new hire the Empl Rcd# will populate once the submission is approved and pushed to HRS), Action, Job Effective Date, Working Title, Expected End Date, Criminal Background Check date, Probation Type & Probation End date (if applicable), Pay Basis and Comp Rate (salary) are entered, updated or viewed.|
|Benefits||Rehire Annuitant, Visiting to/from, Work Out of State and Eligibility for Full Employer Contribution are entered, updated or viewed.|
|HR Contact||Primary, Administrative and Funding contact is entered, updated or viewed.|
|Comment||Comments are created, updated and viewed.|
|Status History||History of statuses that a particular appointment has had in date in descending order (most recent status on top).|
The approach to these 6 tabs: Find/Add Hire, Person, Person Contact, Position, Job and Benefits will vary depending on the type of hire data you are attempting to send to HRS.
(placeholder for links to all JEMS CHRIS hiring KBs)
Find/Add Hire Tab
- Fill in one or more of the fields (Empl ID, Name, SSN#) in the top search section.
- Click the Search button to search the system (searching in JEMS uses information from IADS, EPM and HRS).
- Check the Select box next to the person you would like to use (May need to review information in HRS>UW Multiple Jobs Summary to know which person to use).
- Add in the "Recruitment Type", PVL (if applicable)
- Click Add Hire button.
HR Contact Tab
- This tab stores information about one or more person(s) who may be contacted about the appointment (you may have any number of Additional Contacts listed).
- Click the Add Contact button to be able to modify the entry fields in the bottom portion of the screen.
- For paid positions, one Primary and one Funding contact are required.
- For zero dollar positions funding contact is not required.
Primary Contact: The primary person to be contacted regarding the appointment is required
Funding Contact: The person who enters the funding information to be contacted when the appointment is successfully entered in HRS.
Additional Contact: Name of a secondary contact (optional).
|Last & First Name*||Last & First name.|
|Address||Address is not a required field.|
|Phone*||Area code defaults to 608. Manually enter a dash between the third and the fourth number e.g. 263–2511.|
|Email Address*||Email address of the Primary Contact (required).|
- Click the Get My Contact Data button to populate contact fields with the data you created on the User Profile screen/Contact Information tab.
- Click the Search Address Listings button to find a contact's campus phone number and email address based on the First Name and Last Name fields you filled out on the tab.
- This tab is for comments associated with the individual change request. These comments are created by staff who are authorized for hire. Only users with the proper UDDS authorization are able to access this tab. Those who have access to the tab can view all comments.
- Also listed on this tab are reports from the HRS Processing Log.
- Existing comments are displayed in order by Create Date with the most recent Comment on top.
Details on Comments:
|Create a Comment ||Click the Add Comment button and type the comment into the detail box.|
|Update a Comment ||Place the cursor on the Comment record you wish to change in the first half of the screen (the background color of the record will be dark red) and click the Edit/View button.|
|Delete a Comment||place the cursor on the Comment record you wish to change in the first half of the screen (the background color of the record will be dark red) and click the Delete Comment button.|
Status History Tab
The data on this tab is not modifiable. It displays the history of statuses that a particular hire has had. Anyone with update or view access can view the status history of the appointment. The statuses are displayed with the most recent status on the top line by status effective date (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Department Approved
- Division Approved – Sent to HRS
- Finished – Entered In HRS
Drop Down Menu - "Actions" and "Tools"
The <Actions> menu is used to change the Status of the Hire record. DRAFT is the first status in the lifecycle of the Hire record. SEND TO HRS is the final step in the lifecycle of the Hire record. Grey-ed out statuses are those that are unavailable to the user. Statuses that are not grey-ed are available to the user. REJECT will return the Hire record to the prior status.
- Error Check Current Status -- use this selection to find any errors on the Hire record without changing the status
- Error Check Next Status -- Each status has requirements for data completion. For example, there are data fields that must be completed before the record advances past Department level. In addition, there are data fields that must be completed by the Division before submission to HRS. Use this selection to find any errors one would encounter if trying to advance the status of the Hire record without requesting a status change.