UWMSN - JEMS Hire - Introduction to System
Introduction to JEMS Hire.
Category: Academic Staff (AS), Faculty (FA), Limited Appointees (LI), University Staff (CP, CJ), Temporary Employees (CL), Student Assistants (SA), Post Degree in Training (ET), Other (OT).
Audience: Department and Division staff who enter appointments
Overarching Process: Hiring into AS, FA, LI, CP, CJ, CL, SA, ET, and OT appointments
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
This Knowledge Base document provides an overview of the Job and Employee Management System (JEMS) Hire portal. It also provides details about functions/tabs that are used on any hire, rehire, transfers, or multiple hires made in the JEMS Hire portal.
Main Menu Screen
From this screen the following functions are available
- Click the Hire/Transfer button to start a new hire or transfer (used for transactions that do not require open recruitment or have approved waivers).
- Click the Summer Hire button to create a summer session/service appointment for a currently active C-Basis employee who will be on a "Short Work Break" from their academic year appointment.
- Click the Multi Hire button to hire multiple employees into a position with the exact same job attributes
- Click the My New Hire Basket button to see the Hire/Transfer employee records requiring review or to complete hire transactions that required open recruitment.
- Click the Multi Hire Search button to return to a multi-hire transaction to later add hires
- Exit out of the System
JEMS System Search - Quick Search Tab
When you click the My New Hire Basket button, the below screen appears.
- The first time you log in to the JEMS HIRE portal, a default search profile is set up. The default is composed of the assigned Department/Division authorization with the 'Current Status" of 'Draft'. This default it also loaded into the Quick Search Criteria and will automatically populate any records in this status. If there are no records in this status, the following message appears: 'No Records Were Found'.
- To change the default, click the Change My Profile button (middle of screen) and update.
- The first tab on the User Profile screen stores the default into the 'My Basket' default criteria (example below). See 'Helpful Hints' below for suggestions on recommended settings.
- Department Level Staff - Set the 'Current Status' to default to <Blank> to see all department employees that are in JEMS Hire in various statuses.
- Division Level Staff - Set the Current Status to default to <Department Approved> to see what is in your basket that needs review and approval.
- The second tab on the User Profile screen stores contact data. This data can be used to populate fields on the HR Contact tab.
JEMS System Search - Advanced Search Tabs
The Advanced Search function provides several additional criteria that can be used to locate JEMS Hire records. Search for records in more than one status by selecting multiple options in the Multiple Selection Criteria section.
The Search Results can be viewed online or printed as a .pdf (Adobe Acrobat viewer required) or downloaded in spreadsheet format (Excel application required). This is done through the Print List button
Find/Add Hire Tab
- Fill in one or more of the fields (Empl ID, Name, SSN#) in the top search section.
- Click the Search button to search the system (searching in JEMS uses information from IADS, EPM and HRS).
- Check the Select box next to the person you would like to use (Review HRS - UW Multiple Jobs Summary to select correct person).
- Select the "Recruitment Type" and type the PVL# (if applicable)
- Click Add Hire button.
HR Contact Tab
- This tab stores information about one or more person(s) who may be contacted about the appointment (additional contacts can be listed).
- Start byclicking the Add Contact button to add or modify the entry fields in the bottom portion of the screen.
- Paid positions require a primary and funding contact.
- Zero dollar positions require a primary contact.
List of fields and Descriptions for the HR Contact Tab
| Contact Type (required)
|| Select primary (required on all appointments, funding (required on paid appointments), or additional)
| Last Name (required)
|| Last Name
| First Name (required)
|| First Name
|| Phone (format - xxx-xxx-xxxx)
| Email Address
|| Primary contact email address
| Get My Contact Data
|| Defaulted information from Update my Profile screen
Directions for the Comments Tab
|| DESCRIPTION / INSTRUCTION
| To Add Comment
|| Click the Add Comment button
| To Edit/View
|| Click the comment to update and click the Edit/View button
| To Delete Comment
|| Click the comment to delete and click the Delete Comment button (can only delete comments you created)
Status History Tab
The data on this tab is not modifiable. It displays the history of statuses that a particular hire has had. Anyone with update or view access can view the status history of the appointment. Statuses are shown in descending order.
Possible Statuses shown in workflow order:
- Department Approved
- Division Approved – Sent to HRS
- Finished – Entered In HRS
Drop Down Menu - "Actions" and "Tools"
The <Actions> menu is used to change the status of the hire record. Grayed out statuses are unavailable to the user. REJECT will return the Hire record to the prior status. This does not send out an email to the previous person who submitted the hire transaction.
- Error Check Current Status -- use this selection to find any errors on the Hire record without changing the status
- Error Check Next Status -- Each status has requirements for data completion. For example, there are data fields that must be completed before the record advances past Department level. In addition, there are data fields that must be completed by the Division before submission to HRS. Use this selection to find any errors one would encounter if trying to advance the status of the Hire record without requesting a status change.
Related Job Aids
Related HRS Knowledge Base Documents