UW-Madison Cellular Phone Policy

The following policy covers the use of cellular service/phones for business purposes at the University of Wisconsin Madison. This policy is a supplement to the State of Wisconsin Cellular Phone Policy (.pdf). Individual schools/colleges/divisions may have additional policies that apply to faculty and staff within their school/college/division.

University-funded cellular service/phone assigned to an individual employee

In general, the University discourages assigning University-funded cellular service to individual employees. However, Schools/Colleges/Divisions/Departments are authorized to obtain University-funded cellular service for employees in positions where the associated benefits justify the cost to the University. Employees who travel or have job responsibilities that include being out of their office or are continuously on call for extended periods are good candidates for assigned cellular service. Such determinations shall be made by the School/College/Division/Department. When the employee leaves the position or the position no longer meets the criteria outlined above, the cellular phone must be turned in to the employee’s supervisor for reassignment or termination of the service.

University-funded cellular service/phones treated as a pool

In certain cases it may be more appropriate for a school/college/division/department to purchase cellular service/phones to be available for a pool of employees when they are placed in situations that meet the individual use criteria outlined above.

Annual review of University-funded cellular service/phones

Once a year, generally in the fall, Schools/Colleges/Divisions will receive from DoIT Voice Services an inventory of cellular service/phones within their unit. The school/college/division must conduct a review of individual and pooled cellular service/phone assignments to determine if there is a continuing need.

Policies governing University-funded cellular service/phones

University-funded cellular service/phones are intended for University business only. Personal use is prohibited, except for essential personal calls/texts of minimal duration and frequency.  Supervisors of employees with assigned cellular service/phones or other staff as assigned by Schools/Colleges/Divisions, and supervisors of employees using pooled service/phones, are responsible for monitoring the use of University cellular service/phones by reviewing, with the employee, the detail provided on the monthly cellular phone bill received from DoIT Voice Services. In cases where it is deemed that the personal use exceeds minimal duration and frequency, the School/College/Division will take appropriate disciplinary action against the employee and collect reimbursement for the cost of the excessive calls/texts at the amount charged on the bill plus applicable fees and taxes plus 6 cents per minute. Such money must be deposited to the funding source which paid the cellular service bill and must be indicated as taxable on the deposit slip.

Obtaining University-funded cellular service/phones

The State of Wisconsin has a contract for the purchase of cellular service/phones which offers a variety of plans depending on the calling pattern expected. Contact DoIT Voice Services for more information. Cellular service may not be contracted for without the approval of DoIT Voice Services. Please note that sponsored grants and contracts (funds 133 and 144) can be used to pay for cellular service/phones only after approval by your school/college.

Reimbursement for use of personal cellular service

Employees are discouraged from using personal cellular service to conduct University business. However, in the event that use of personal cellular service for University business is unavoidable, an employee may be reimbursed for use of personal cellular service to conduct University business, subject to collective bargaining agreements and School/College/Division policies. Only actual, verifiable costs attributable to University business may be reimbursed. A copy of the employee’s phone bill must be attached to the reimbursement request. The employee may be reimbursed for actual roaming and related charges for individual calls and an appropriate pro-rata share of the base cellular service charge. The reimbursement request must indicate how the pro-rata share was calculated.  If an employee is requesting reimbursement each month, the School/College/Division should procure a University funded device and service.

Keywords:Cellular Phone Policy telephone cell   Doc ID:39380
Owner:Manda J.Group:Voice Services
Created:2014-04-23 09:06 CDTUpdated:2018-06-24 22:01 CDT
Sites:Voice Services
Feedback:  0   0