Well-known UW-Madison Campus IP address ranges and hosts
DoIT Network Services recognizes the need for campus network administrators to allow or block certain IP address ranges to the infrastructure that they manage. This document is to provide a handy reference for IP address ranges commonly used on the UW-Madison Campus. However, this document is not authoritative due to the dynamic nature of the network.
IPv4 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
- 184.108.40.206/17 - Resnet
Private companies / Federal Government Agencies using UW IP space
- 220.127.116.11/24 - Research Park: gcg.com
- 18.104.22.168/23 - Forest Products Lab
- 22.214.171.124/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 126.96.36.199/24 - Research Park: Science Drive LAN for multiple groups/depts
- 188.8.131.52/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 184.108.40.206/29 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 220.127.116.11/25 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
- 18.104.22.168/27 - Research Park: Tomotherapy
- 22.214.171.124/24 - MG&E Innovation Center-Rosa Rd.
RFC 1918 IPv4 ranges centrally managed by DoIT
IPv6 ranges assigned to the UW-Madison Campus
IP ranges previously routed on UW-Madison [previously checked 2014/11/20]
- 126.96.36.199/25 - USGS
- 188.8.131.52/24 - USGS
- 184.108.40.206/24 - University of Wisconsin-Madison Computer Systems Lab
- 220.127.116.11/24 - Dane County University Extension
- 2001:4e0:82::/48 [deprecated, 3/2008]
IP ranges assigned to UW System affiliates
- 18.104.22.168/23 - University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
IPv4The Campus DNS infrastructure is implemented by a pool of redundant dns servers that answer dns requests to these addresses. These DNS servers are for use on the UW-Madison campus only. If you are off-campus, please use your provider's DNS servers.
To request changes or updates to the campus DNS service, please contact the DoIT HelpDesk.
- 22.214.171.124/20 (126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52) for dynamically addressed VPN clients (decommissioned Winter of 2017 with decom of legacy WiscVPN service)
- 10.130.176.0/20 (10.130.176.0-10.130.191.255) for Palo Alto Gobalprotect dynamically addressed VPN clients starting on June 15th, 2017.
- 184.108.40.206/20 (220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168) for static addressed VPN clients
The list of addresses used for network management and security scanning can be found here.
UWNet & Eduroam Wireless and Wired Authenticated Networks
The UWNet & Eduroam wireless clients utilize private IP addresses from the campus routable range mentioned in the RFC1918 section of this document. These clients are routable to campus and use NAT/PAT behind pools of public IP addresses listed below for Internet access.
- 10.138.0.0/15 - Eduroam clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 22.214.171.124/23 for Internet access
- 10.140.0.0/15 - UWNET clients, utilizes NAT/PAT behind 126.96.36.199/23 for Internet access
Wired UWNet is being deprecated and should no longer be considered a campus-wide service.
NTP ServersDoIT has several stratum-2 or less servers; we do not have our own stratum-1 time source.
The addresses are as follows:
ntp1.doit.wisc.edu 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 2607:f388::123:1 ntp2.doit.wisc.edu 220.127.116.11 2607:f388::123:2 ntp3.doit.wisc.edu 18.104.22.168 2607:f388::123:3