Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 05-22-14

Approved 5-29-14

ASEC Minutes

2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 22, 2014

67 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Heather McFadden, Chair; Jim Maynard; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair

Guests:  Paul DeLuca, Curtis Ryals, Jacob Smith

The meeting was called to order at 2:12 p.m.

The minutes of May 8, 2014 were approved with a correction.

Guest: Paul DeLuca

Paul DeLuca discussed the need for a process on how to handle campus-wide documents that are passed with different versions by different governance groups.  He suggested that ASEC work on discussing a process this summer along with the other governance groups.  

Paul DeLuca suggested that ASEC receive an update from Mark Treiber, the project manager for Office 365.  The project is moving along at a quick pace.  

The Dean of International Studies appointment was just announced.  The interviews for the Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff and Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning are taking place in the coming weeks.  The new Provost will be able to provide input on the final candidate for these two positions.


Chair Heather McFadden reported on the onboarding process for the new Provost.  ASEC will provide a briefing sheet for her.  Heather McFadden will prepare a draft.  Heather M. and the Secretary’s office are working on a briefing handbook for ASEC and perhaps standing committee chairs.  Heather D. will circulate a list of materials to ASEC.  If there are other documents that should be added or guests that should be invited to give this summer to give a presentation about some aspect of campus, please notify Heather M. or Heather D.  The Academic Staff Issues Survey will be launched separately to ASEC and Standing Committee Chairs as was done last fall.  

Secretary Heather Daniels introduced Jake Smith to ASEC.  She is meeting with Emuye and Gene Masters Friday morning regarding a few academic staff who aren’t currently pulled in the search that Gene is running.  The Academic Staff Issues survey has 1,177 responses so far and will close Friday at 4:30.  The ASEC farewell lunch will take place on June 13 from 12-1:30.  The Secretary’s office is now sending paper copies of appointment letters to the appointees only in addition to an electronic version.  Heather D. and Jake will also be sending formal appointment letters to Assembly Representatives and Alternates.  Currently, they receive an informal welcome email.  

Liaison Reports:

Jim Maynard and Denny Hackel reported on the first Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning candidate.  Denny will provide ASEC with a copy of the draft structure for the Office of Human Resources.


Curtis Ryals met with ASEC about the idea of using some of the nomination packets for the Excellence Awards as the basis for academic staff profiles.  There was a vigorous discussion about the issues related to doing this including permissions, workload of various committees, and other issues.  ASEC agreed to continue to grapple with this issue during the coming months.

ASEC discussed the process for nominations for chair and vice chair for ASEC.  Heather D. will send out a call for nominees via email.  

ASEC made some modifications to the list of liaison committee assignments for 2014-15.  There was general agreement that the liaison program should continue next year.  They considered whether to expand this program to shared governance committees.

ASEC discussed the joint meeting with the University Committee.  Overall, the meeting was positive.  There will be two joint subcommittees this summer: supervisor training/evaluation and implementation of reporting mechanisms for bullying.

ASEC discussed the ASEC/CASI meeting and ASEC/Shared Governance Committee meeting.  Both meetings were good.  The Shared Governance Committee representatives were very happy about the opportunity to talk with each other and ASEC.  ASEC will look at organizing a couple activities for this group next year.

ASEC discussed the May Assembly meeting.  Heather D. should be able to make amendments to the document live on the screen in 272 Bascom.  This should aid the Assembly in following changes that are proposed.

Next ASEC Meeting, May 29, 2014 **1:30 meeting time**

--ASEC Chair/Vice Chair Selection

-Districting Discussion

-Guest: Provost, Darrell Bazzell, Gene Masters, Classified Staff Executive Committee

Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments for the Campus Transportation Committee.  (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)

Motion to appoint Aaron Crandall to the Campus Transportation Committee for an appointment starting immediately and renewing on July 1, 2014 (Moved. Seconded. Approved.).

Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)

Meeting adjourned at 4:28 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff

Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:40702
Owner:Jake S.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2014-06-03 13:39 CDTUpdated:2014-07-15 15:35 CDT
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0