Box Course Handouts - Program Directors
Using UW-Madison Box for online access to course handouts instead of accessing the course handouts site on the Course Materials Server allows for custom URLs to be set, expirations of shared links to be set, and passwords for online course materials to be sent.
- The files that are being shared with course attendees should be protected and saved (with simplified file names, if necessary) into a folder with the course number in the title of the folder. See Document 40208 is unavailable at this time. for more information.
- When the files are ready, open UW-Madison Box.
- Choose the folder labeled "[PD's Last Name] Course Handouts".
- Within this course handouts folder, create a subfolder for each course labeled "[course number] Handouts".
- To share certain files with some attendees of a course and other files with other attendees, make separate subfolders and set the sharing for the folders - not the individual files.
- Once the protected course files have been uploaded, locate the "Sharing" header in the right sidebar underneath the list of collaborators. Click on "Share this Folder".
1. In the "Access" pulldown menu, select "Anyone with the link".2. Under "Set Custom URL", type "handouts[course#]" into the box. Click the check mark to save. The entire custom URL then becomes "https://uwmadison.box.com/handouts[course#]"3. Under "Set Link Expiration", select an expiration date for the link that's one month after the start date of the course. Click the check mark to save. After the expiration date the file will remain on Box, but the link to it will no longer work.
- Test the custom URL in a different browser to make sure it will work for attendees who aren't signed in to Box.
- Email the expiration date to the PA so she is in the loop.